Sunday, April 13, 2014

Godzilla, Seahawks & Knights

Hey guys, so yesterday was an extremely busy day for me. But it was also a fun one.


For the first time in months I went to Richmond County Bank Ballpark, the home of the Staten Island Yankees. The SI Yanks were doing a fun promotion where if you came and bought at least one ticket for a Staten Island Yankees game you could get to have Hideki Matsui to sign one item for you.  Naturally I decided to attend and had Godzilla sign my 2010 Topps Heritage card featuring one of Godzilla's finest moments in pinstripes, Game 6 of the 2009 World Series.

A White Whale Is Finally Mine!


As you'd expect there were A LOT of people there. A lot of Japanese fans and a fair number of Yankee fans showed up. And naturally the lines were so slow you'd think we were all at the DMV. It took us (or me I should say) one whole hour of waiting in the ticket line, and then another 30 minutes waiting to see/get close to Hideki Matsui. So yes, I had to wait in a line for an hour just to join another line. As stupid as that sounds, the end justifies the means. And I've gotta say, meeting Hideki Matsui (a guy I've known since my elementary school days) in person and sitting right in front of me was pretty surreal. In fact I had a much harder time comprehending how this was possible than when I met Mo a few weeks ago. That time I spent like $310 for an autograph. This time I paid $15 for a future Staten Island Yankees game where I plan on obtaining even more autographs, plus I got another added bonus (more on this below). It's just too good to be true. Whether or not that finally sinks one day is unknown, but right now I'm just really happy to have a Godzilla autograph.


So after getting Godzilla's signature, I noticed that the tarp was being removed from the field and that the grounds crew started setting up a batting cage on the field. To my surprise it turned out that a baseball game was actually going to happen at RCBBP. But not just any kind of baseball game, a college baseball game.


Yes that's right, while the Staten Island Yankees won't take the field for another two months the ballpark is currently home to the local Wagner College baseball team; the Seahawks. Being the greedy opportunist that I am, I quickly picked up a postcard featuring the ballpark and started asking players for their autographs. Unfortunately by the time I had gotten Godzilla's autograph most of the Seahawks were busy practicing and I only got two signatures (still better than nothing though). However I managed to get eleven autographs of the opposing team, The Fairleigh Dickinson University Knights. And yes, all 13 autographs are going to count towards my IP auto goal countdown. These are all guys who could potentially be drafted one day so it totally counts!


Although it's kind of hard to see I ended up getting 13 autographs.
Seahawks:
*Zack Yesko (OF)
*Shaun Flynn (INF)

Knights:
*Ryan McGrath (Utility Guy)
*Jack Loftus (C)
*Ryan MacDonald (1B)
*Patrick McClure (C)
*Riley Moonan (OF)
*Joe Flack (RHP)
*Shane Siebler (OF)
*Ryan Brennan (Utility Guy)
*Anthony Calise (RHP)
*Jose DeLeon (INF)

It turned out that the two teams weren't going to just play a baseball game, they were going to play a double header. The first game was pretty sweet. It wasn't a slugfest as both teams combined to score only 1 run but in turn that made the pitching performances that much better. Plus I saw Knights center fielder Riley Moonan make an incredible over-the-shoulder catch. The Seahawks won the first game 1-0 and improved their record to 7-21 (4-3 NEC) overall.
During the second game I left during the fourth inning because I wanted to stop by a certain part of New York (more on that another time) but after looking at the results online it appears as though the Knights slugged their way to a 7-3 victory. The Knights improved their record to 7-17 (1-6 NEC) overall.

Whether or not these guys get drafted (or get signed as non-drafted free agents) remains to be seen but all of these players put on a heck of a performance. And no, I won't start following college baseball (I love prospecting but that's going WAY too far) but if I ever get the chance to catch another college baseball game I probably won't pass it up.

So with that I'll just share some grainy photos (I zoomed in way too much) I took to close out this post. As always thanks for taking the time to stop by and take care :).



IP Auto Goal Countdown: 18

10 comments:

  1. $15 for a Matsui IP autograph is really awesome! And it's great to see some baseball too. That team sure has a lot of Ryans. It must get confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, especially considering how I was going to pay that $15 to see a game I was going to go to anyway :).

      Delete
  2. What a great deal! You can't beat $15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And $15 I was going to spend anyway for a game I was going to go to anyway too :).

      Delete
  3. I'd wait a few hours for the opportunity to meet Hideki. That autograph of his is awesome! And that ballpark is awesome! Love the water in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yeah the Hudson River in the background is awesome. You won't believe how refreshing it is when the cool sea breeze comes into the stadium during night games (and some day games) keeping the temperature just right on most summer nights/days. Throw in a beer or two and you're basically in heaven :).

      Delete