Sunday, February 15, 2015

Weekend TTM Roundup: 2/9-2/14

Received On: 2/9/2015

My only return this week came from ex-Yankee, Bob Cerv.
Bob Cerv was signed as a free agent by the Yankees before 1950 and made his MLB debut on August 1st, 1951. He was basically a bench guy who saw limited action in his first six seasons with the Yankees. Although he did win a World Series ring with the Yankees in 1956.
Before 1957 he had been sold to the Kansas City Royals where he saw more playing time and somewhat broke out. Especially in 1958 when he posted a career high 6.3 bWAR, was picked for the MLB All Star Game (beating out Ted Williams at that) and was a nominee for the AL MVP.
Midway through 1960 Cerv was traded back to the Yankees but half a year later was shipped out to the Angels as part of the expansion draft. He was traded back to the Yankees the next season and then was purchased by the Houston Colt .45s/Astros. He was released by Houston one month later and never returned to the big leagues.

And as you can see I didn't ask Mr. Cerv for a "Cervin' Up Cards" inscription. That era of this blog has passed now. Plus I doubt we would've been able to see it anyway. I can barely make out Cerv's signature written in pen.

Regardless big thanks to Mr. Cerv for my only return this week.
And as always thank you (the reader) for stopping by. Take care :).

2015 TTM Count: 12

Sources:
*http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cervbo01.shtml
*http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cervbo01-bat.shtml

14 comments:

  1. Wow, a '53 TTM is always pretty sweet. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hopefully I can get an even older TTM return one day.

      Delete
  2. True, you can't see the signature too well, but it's cool nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool alright. Although it'd be a lot cooler if I didn't have to pay five bucks for this (which I did).

      Delete
  3. Looks great. I have the Topps Archives I keep forgetting to send him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I can't seem to find your e-mail, I can put the purple parallels aside for you, def interested in the Howard Japanese cards, let me know brauer144 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I had seen the last of that card. Congrats on the TTM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cerv saga comes to a close here. Thanks for the ride :).

      Delete
  6. Very nice. Did you have to send in a donation to Cerv?

    ReplyDelete