Monday, May 4, 2015

Big Daddy & Mick The Quick

So last year I got to meet Hideki Matsui as part of a promotion where you could get one free in person autograph with the purchase of a single ticket to a Staten Island Yankees game.


The Staten Island Yankees have not been very good at drawing fans to the stadium so they gave it a go again this year back in mid April. This time with two guests, Cecil Fielder and Mickey Rivers.

As expected there was a whole lot of waiting. Waiting for the lines for the ticket booths to move and waiting for Mr. Rivers (who was roughly 25 minutes late) to arrive.


Luckily there was some college baseball to help pass the time.

Last year I made the mistake of only getting one autograph from Hideki Matsui. This year I was better prepared. You see, I remembered Mike's post and how he went back to the ticket booth to buy another ticket to get another voucher for another Hideki Matsui autograph.


So this year I made it so that I arrived at the stadium a little earlier and first bought one ticket so as not to hold up the ticket line. Then once I got my first autograph from Fielder and Rivers, I jolted for the ticket booth and bought four more tickets for one more voucher.

Photo: MiLB.com

The reason I bought four tickets the second time was because they were doing a special promo where you would be entered into a raffle and have a chance to win a framed autographed jersey of Andy Pettitte with the purchase of four tickets. And these four other games I bought tickets to were games I was going to attend and pay to see anyway. So why not? And no I didn't win the Pettitte jersey :'(.

Cecil Fielder

Mickey Rivers

Anyway, I got to see both Papa Fielder and Mickey Rivers twice. Both were extremely friendly with the fans who showed up and had huge smiles on their faces.


In the process I got two Mickey Rivers autographs (one is the regular 1979 Topps issue and the other is a 1979 Burger King issue, both were sent to me by Mark Hoyle).


And I got three Cecil Fielder autographs (all courtesy of The Lost Collector who sent me them days before this event took place).

Now the reason I got three Fielder autographs was because I offered the '97 Leaf/Donruss card (the one in the middle) to him as a present but he refused to accept it and just signed it anyway. Awesome! Also, the decision to use a silver sharpie on the Pinnacle card (which was signed the second time around) was the lady who was overseeing the line's call. And she was 100% correct, although the scanner may think otherwise.


Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one last promo the Staten Island Yankees did this day. For the first 250 fans who bought tickets, they'd give you a voucher for one free Derek Jeter t-shirt and Derek Jeter poster.



Because I got two vouchers, I ended up with two shirts and two posters. SCORE!

All in all this was a fun day that surprisingly went pretty smoothly.

The one flaw might be that I didn't get any autographs of the college baseball players this year but that's alright. At least we can all appreciate the beautiful pre-9/11 photo used on this postcard.


As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).
Also, Minor League Baseball > Major League Baseball. Always.

2015 IP Auto Count: 7 9

8 comments:

  1. Very cool! Love the minor league promotions! Nice autographs and Jeter memorabilia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that Cecil wrote lefty. He hit and threw righty, so that's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I just realized that. #mindblown

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun day. You should of bribed the person that won the jersey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I would've if the player was somebody I cared about (Luis Torrens, Jorge Posada, Big Hirok) but for Andy? Nah.

      Delete
  4. The pair of Mickeys look real nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hoyle. Thanks for sending them too ;).

      Delete