Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Pioneer

So the other day I received a large bubble mailer from Stealing Home.

Right off the bat I knew what was going to be inside.


Yep, that's an oversized Murakami Masanori card in the Turkey Red design.

SH said that they received this during a trip to the Institute for Baseball Studies.


The back of the oversized cabinet card is a brief description of Murakami Masanori's career in the states, and is also an advertisement for Robert K. Fitts' book, Mashi which is focused on Murakami's stint in the majors and what happened after that.

Naturally I was curious and decided to check out the link on the bottom. To my surprise and delight I found out that Murakami Masanori and Robert K. Fitts would be touring the U.S. to promote this book and more importantly that they would be coming to New York City later this year. Or at least one part of the site says so. If Murakami is coming to a bookstore in NYC this summer I'm definitely going.
The site also had a pretty nice section on Vintage Japanese Baseball Cards. And speaking of cards the cabinet card that kick started this post is pretty big too.


Look at that!
The 1992 Donruss mini looks absolutely minuscule next to Murakami.

Whether or not I actually get to see Murakami remains to be seen but I'll refrain from talking about his career for now and save it for later. Most of it's already on the back of the card anyway lol.


I'm really hoping that I might be able to meet Murakami and get him to sign my '65 RC of his (fingers crossed :)).

Anyway thanks for the "Mashi" cabinet card SH, expect some Doyers heading your way. And if any of you have any other cool Murakami cards or items (I hear he has a bobble head) feel free to send them my way ;).

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

12 comments:

  1. That might be the single largest card I've ever seen. There really needs to be more Murakami memorabilia in existence. What a great piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, keep in mind that I just put it up against a Donruss mini ;).

      And I agree, there does need to be more Murakami memorabilia in existence.

      Delete
  2. That Murakami is awesome. I'll tell you his Wins Above Replacement later though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool. I didn't know this type of card existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I. Gotta love how the blogosphere introduces us all to new things.

      Delete
  4. Murakami is scheduled to make a tour stop out here and visit the Institute. He may give a talk as well.
    I'll try my best to get there...and with a bit of luck, I'll be able to secure an autograph.
    You know who I'll be sending it to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the card SH :),
      And thanks for thinking of me. If you manage to get his autograph and send it to me, well, I dunno how I'd pay you back.

      Delete
  5. I believe its $25 for autographs at least out here in SF that's the word

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. Considering what his few certified autographs go for, that sounds reasonable.

      Delete
  6. Can't wait for him to come to San Jose. I hope he'll sign his rookie card for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know you're also planning on meeting him. Good luck Fuji :).

      Delete