Saturday, June 20, 2015

Y.O.L.O. (Pt. II)

Okay so yesterday was the first day of the 2015 Staten Island Yankees season. Of course I went and it was a pretty good game despite the box score (we'll get to that later).


Unlike last year where I created customs with players in their high school/college uniforms, this year I only made customs for guys I already had pictures of Yankees (or Yankees org) uniforms, which basically limited it to a few GCL stint pics and a Tampa Yankees pic. Plus I figured that I have all summer to get a lot of these guys so I might as well get their autographs later when I can finally use some real pictures of them as SI Yankees.

So let's look at what I did get signed.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

Junior Valera here holds the distinction for being the first player to sign an autograph for me IP this year. He is also the first one I "tried" to speak to in Spanish. All I really said to him was "this card is for you" and handed him an extra custom and he said thanks.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

After Valera I managed to get the Yankees' compensation round pick in this year's draft, Kyle Holder.
I was a bit surprised to see that there were so few people after his autograph. I don't know if that's because there weren't as many autograph hounds as there usually was at SI games (I think there were like seven of them including me). I managed to Holder on that beautiful picture and gave him an extra copy.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

After Holder I got Yankees backstop, Eduardo De Oleo.
De Oleo was originally in Charleston this season and after putting up pretty good numbers at Charleston last year I didn't think he'd be assigned to SI and yet here he is. I actually tried speaking to De Oleo in Spanish but he just responded in English. It was great and awkward at the same time.

Okay, now after De Oleo is when I got the big prize.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

Okay, I know what you're all thinking. Where's the signature?

If you look closely at Mr. Estrada's knees you can see some of it.

You see I had the "brilliant" idea of having Mr. Estrada use a bronze sharpie to sign my superfractor. In person it doesn't look that bad but I'll be the first to admit that blue, black or even red ink would've been MUCH better. Fun story, when Estrada was signing this for me, he looked a bit surprised because at first it looked like the pen wasn't working since you couldn't see the ink until you looked hard enough.

Still though, it was worth a shot and all previous tests (mainly with sleeves) worked pretty well so I figured this would turn out better.

It didn't, but I still like it since I technically have a superfractor autograph now (tehe :)) and because I doubt anyone else will be "after" this card in the future lol. YOLO is the motto.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

"See how much bolder Estrada's signature looks on this one in that beautiful blue ink?"
I know, stop nagging me.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

"Oh look, another bold blue signature."
I'm serious, stop it.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

"Need I say more."
Alright, then you buy the superfractor with your own money next time and get it signed in blue ink yourself.

I stopped going after autographs before the game after that to spew more Yankees blabber on Twitter. When the game ended I waited at the garage like usual hoping to knock off a few more customs. I managed to snag one more.

Signed On: 6/19/2015

My last autograph here on day 1 was from LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS Cedeno. He and I had a very awkward conversation that involved me speaking Spanish and him speaking English. We ended our awkward talk fittingly enough with a pretty blurry selfie of the two of us. Despite being a millennial, my selfie game is weak.

So yeah, I did a lot of Tweeting this time. I ended up tweeting a ton of pics and even some videos for the first time in my life.






During the game I picked up some cool things. Like this Nacho Helmet that housed my dinner. BTW, the nachos at the ballpark improved. I didn't have diarrhea after I ate it this time!


I also immediately bought this really cool looking Staten Island Yankees fitted. I hate jingoism but when a design is this cool, it doesn't matter.

Angle 1

Now when I go to a Staten Island Yankees game I almost never sit in my proper seat and just go around from seat to seat trying to get different angles and views. Despite the game being sold out (allegedly) I still found some empty seats to sit in.


In the process I picked up a few things for guys like The Lost Collector, including the greatest gift you could ever give a baseball fan. Pocket schedules!


Speaking of schedules, the SI Yanks must really have a hard on for the magnetic ones because they gave me one for free again this year.


Oh and I should probably note that the Yankees' Playball/program changed a bit this year. Last year it felt like a newspaper that was actually stapled. This year it's like one of those health insurance pamphlets.

Angle 2

I guess I'd also be remised if I didn't mention how at the game Field Of Dreams actor Dwier Brown threw the first pitch and had a booth up where he signed autographs and promoted his book. Unfortunately I was too busy tweeting about Estrada and Holder being the middle infield to stop by. Then again, I have never seen Field of Dreams anyway so...

Now some of you are probably wondering what happened during the game itself.

Angle 3

Well the game against the Yankees' arch nemesis the Brooklyn Cyclones turned into a 12 inning marathon that the Cyclones eventually won 3-2 (BOOOOO!!!!). It's tough to complain about free baseball but it is easy to complain about when the team you like loses.

Angle 4

After the game ended there were a bunch of fireworks and a chance for children (and their parents) to go out onto the field and play catch (gotta love minor league baseball).


And that was the first day of SI baseball for me. Pretty great day IMO. One of the bigger priorities I had coming into the game was to get a signature of Domingo Acevedo but that plan failed. I'll have to really put some effort into it next time (if he's still around that is).

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2015 IP Auto Count: 17

10 comments:

  1. Great recap! Looks like it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're thinking was good with the superfractor. I thought it would have popped more than it does. super cool though.

    I like Holder auto. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at least now I can really cross off gold, silver and bronze off of the list of colors to use for superfractors.

      And thanks, I'll try and get you one during the summer ;).

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun first game. You did a lot more work than me. Great autos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my book I didn't do enough. And thanks :).

      Delete
  4. You show your age when you like that cap. To me, it's pretty ugly and a bit of patriotic pandering. But to each his own. Though, it violates US Flag code.TWICE!:

    176. Respect for flag
    (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.
    (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform

    On the plus side, you made some sweet customs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I hate nationalism and patriotism but when the flag has been altered to that degree it's been commercialized to death and no longer patriotic. At least in my book.

      That said I had no idea about there being a US flag code. If those two codes are true then a lot of people/entities violate the US flag on a daily basis.

      And thanks :).

      Delete
  5. If you had a blast (and sounds like you did), that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete