Saturday, July 18, 2015

Glutton For Punishment

So yesterday I went to see the Yankees game over at Yankee Stadium. It was the first major league baseball game I had been to in over two years. And for good reason.


You see, I don't like Yankee Stadium. I think it stinks. It's a joke ballpark. It's very crowded, very small and way too expensive.

It certainly doesn't help that the stadium is filled with people. Very loud, very obnoxious, very self-entitled and very drunk people. Most of whom think partaking in the wave is a "cool" thing to do and can't sit still for five minutes without having to buy beer, go take a piss, buy more beer or have their friends buy more beer. Just sit your butt down and watch the game stare at your phone like every other "fan" darnit!

Now to be fair it's not like you can't find loud, obnoxious, self-entitled drunks at minor league games either. You can always find those kinds of people at any sort of baseball game. It's just that the scale is a lot smaller and a lot more tolerable the farther away you get from the big leagues. Plus you can just move away to to another seat in another section. Good luck doing that at Yankee Stadium.


The game itself was meh. I saw Tanaka since he was pretty much the only reason I went in the first place. I also saw Betances throw, Refsnyder exist and Rodriguez hit a home run (which turned out to be the winning run). The biggest highlight of the night was when the Yankees showed a video of Aaron Judge between innings. I am dead serious.

I didn't stay until the end of the game. The moment Betances finished his job in the 8th I bolted for the exit and left to avoid the onslaught of folks looking to go home. It didn't work, there were like a thousand other stadium goers with the same idea and I think we all crammed into the same subway car too. I probably should've left after seeing Betances throw his first pitch. In fact I probably never should've gone to the game at all.

So was it worth the price of admission? No. I've seen better baseball for better prices. And I've had even better experiences too.


And if you're wondering why I subjected myself to such an God-awful time, it's because some folks I know wanted to see Tanaka while he was still alive. It seems like they had a good time so good for them I guess. Now we can say that we've all seen him before his season ending injury and hopefully I never have to go back to that horrible place ever again (seriously that place looks like a toilet without the lid).

And because I know some of you might wondering, no, I've never been to Citi Field. And quite honestly, I have no business ever going there. I mean I'm sure things are horrible there too but I'm not a Mets fan, I'm not a National League baseball fan and I'm barely even a major league baseball fan.

Oy, sorry for all of this negativity guys. I honestly tried to give Yankee Stadium another shot. I came into this game with very low expectations because almost every experience I've had with major league baseball games have been awful, but somehow this game didn't even meet those expectations, in that it was even worse. So yeah, forget going to see major league baseball games. Just watch major league baseball on your TV/mobile app (blackouts be damned) or listen to it on the radio, it's better that way.


I'll finish this off on a positive note by saying I got this really cool auto of Jason Anderson (the first SI Yankee to make it to the big leagues) from The Lost Collector. It's numbered 005/500 too :). Thanks man :)!

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

12 comments:

  1. Haven't been to a major league game since 1994. May never again. Shhhh, don't tell people minor league baseball is cool. Then all the assholes will go there and it will suck too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you're absolutely right. *Clicks edit button.*

      Delete
  2. Like your style. I agree totally about the beer thing. The last time I went to Wrigley, a buch of years ago, the best part of the day was during batting and feilding practice before most of the fans, I mean idiots, showed up. After that it was about beer and grown up people throwing peanuts at each other. We left early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least my suspicion that every "fan base" is awful in their own special way.

      Delete
  3. ZZ...try Dodger Stadium. After everything you described, then you get to maneuver through a zillion cars through tiny streets that were built in the 20's.

    Funny thing is, I still love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fine if you're into major league baseball. I know people who have to deal with this madness everyday as part of their job (ack!).

      But man oh man, if what I've heard about the 405 are true than I wouldn't last a day in California.

      Delete
    2. Everything you've heard is true. I've lived my life absolutely refusing to be rush-hour traffic commuter. I honestly don't know how those people do it.

      Delete
  4. Minor league baseball is where it is at. No doubt.
    My favorite major league experience was going to PNC park about 4 years ago, before the Pirates were winning and when they were practically begging people to attend the games. We felt like we had the run of the joint and everything seemed just perfect: uncrowded concourses, beautiful skyline, and cheap-ish tickets. To this day I claim PNC as my favorite major league park/experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man that's a great point. I might need to go a meaningless game in late August for a really crappy baseball team, that might help.

      Delete
  5. Lol... great post buddy! You would have punched me and my friend in the face had you joined us this past Saturday. She must have gone to the bathroom 5 times... plus we got up to get food and beer twice (before the game... and again during the 5th or 6th).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in California. Don't you people just puff, puff and pass before coming to the stadium so you don't have to rely on beer?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure plenty of people PPP... but I'm more of a nachos, corndogs, and soft pretzel kind of guy ;)

      Delete