Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Completion

So I went to the double header between the Staten Island Yankees and Aberdeen Ironbirds yesterday, and boy was it one heck of a day.


Because of the double header the game started at 5 (which meant the gates opened at 4). I kind of left my house in a hurry lol.


My first autograph on this day was from Jeff Hendrix. Hendrix is a guy who I've sort of overlooked. In that he's been hitting the ball really well this year (hence why the team routinely dishes him out as the leadoff hitter). I prepared a dupe of the card above to give to him but I ended up giving it to a kid next to me who wanted an autograph (I have to practice what I preach). I bought a loose Hendrix (thank the Lord the SI Yanks sell cards via singles this year) and gave it to him after the game.


My second autograph was from Josh Roeder. Roeder pitched in game one of the double header and locked down the win with a scoreless 7th inning (in the minors double headers are 7 innings long), earning his fourth save in the process.


My next autograph was from Jeff Degano, who I finally got around to making a custom for. The Yankees' second rounder this year. He may be the starter for the SI Yankees on Thursday.


Next up I finally got the Yankees' first draft pick this year James Kaprielian!
I actually asked him to sign four cards but gave the fourth one to the aforementioned kid I gave the Hendrix dupe to. Don't worry, I still had a couple of cards to give to Kaprielian himself. ;). Kaprielian here was the last of my pre-game autograph haul.


After the first game of the double header ended. There was a brief 30 minute intermission (30 minutes is brief in baseball preparation time) but I managed to get Zack Zehner here. Zack is a very capable left fielder who's been tasked with hitting second in the lineup in recent times (especially after Holder's thumb issues started getting worse).


After the second game ended I managed to get the signature on the ticket stub from the newest SI Yankee, Alex Bisacca. He was in the bullpen chilling with the other relievers and even started warming up in the bottom of the 7th inning in game two of the double-header just in case the SI Yankees managed to tie the game and the game would go to extra innings.


My second post game autograph was courtesy of Matthew Borens. Although it appeared as though Borens was moved to the bullpen when Kaprielian got called up and was slotted into the SIY rotation, Borens will be starting game 1 of the double-header the SI Yankees will play tonight (that's right, the SI Yankees are playing two doubleheaders in two consecutive days). You can never have enough starting pitching.


My third post game autograph came courtesy of Jonny Drozd. Drozd was also chilling in the bullpen but as he said himself (to paraphrase) "he didn't do much." I'm sure the SI Yanks will call upon his services today.


My last autograph on this day was from Ethan Carnes. Carnes started game two of the doubleheader, he went 4.1 innings pitched allowing just one run. Carnes is a super cool dude who promised me he'd sign my card after the game and sign it he did. Carnes' mother was also in attendance (she had a jersey that said Carnes on it). I gave Ethan an extra card of his from this year's set and he said his mother would really love it.
On a sidenote, Carnes called me a true fan. #smile.

With the Carnes autograph I finally finished the 2015 Staten Island Yankees team set (minus the five guys who weren't with the team by the time the team set came out). Whether or not I finish the complete set remains to be seen as Alex Robinett was just deployed to army boot camp (I wish him the best and hope he returns to the mound in the future at 100% health) and Ty McFarland has been missing in action since late June (I hope everything with him is okay too). Then again, crazier things have happened. And I do have those five guys' autographs on other cards ;).

So with that out of way onto the games :).


Game 1 was actually a continuation of a postponed game from 8/19. The SI Yankees were already up 2-1 and the game ended in a 4-1 victory for the SI Yankees. Kolton Mahoney (who started the original game too) threw six innings of one run ball.


Before the game Kolton Mahoney even gave me a ball that happened to be lying around on the ground. I gave the ball to a lady to give to her son (different kid from aforementioned one) and they were really appreciative about it (gotta spread the love ;)). We even started talking about basic human decency and about how she and her son actually went to Japan once.


Game 2 ended in a 1-2 loss for the SI Yankees. Ethan Carnes pitched a really great 4.1 innings but James Reeves (who wasn't too bad either) ended up giving up one run which proved to be the winning run. But it was still a well pitched game nonetheless.

In any case because the SI Yankees managed to one win of these two games (and because of Hudson Valley's loss) the SI Yanks remain in first place. Now they have to make sure to win at least one (both if possible) of today's two games.


All in all it was a pretty wonderful day, the kind of day that makes you glad to be alive (yes, they exist, I was very surprised that they exist but they do). I helped some kids get autographs and a ball, I finished my team set (sort of) and I finally got James Kaprielian's autograph. I also got to give out the last of the dupes to the players who'd already signed for me as thank you presents (except one). What a great way to end summer break :).

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2015 IP Auto Count: 124

19 comments:

  1. That really was a great day at the ballpark. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "On a sidenote, Carnes called me a true fan. #smile."
    Love the warm and fuzzy moments in baseball. Thanks for sharing and congrats on finishing the set! The closest I ever came was 12 cards out of 30 back in the early 90s. Good times nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom :). You may just finish the remaining 18 one day... ;).

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great day of graphing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to buy season tickets! My friends and I thinking about getting a couple seats down the road for the Black Bears. This year the novelty factor is high so we need to wait until prices go back down.

    Good move on giving the ball away. You probably made that kids day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would but season tix are a bit too expensive for my blood. If you decide to share with a buddy the cost might be a little easier to swallow.

      You'd think so but that same kid later got batting gloves from Kyle Holder, so I think my ball was just a pleasant bonus. His mother raised him right so he was really appreciative of the ball nonetheless though.

      Delete
  5. Super jealous of the Kaprielian autos! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon man, you're missing out on all of the fun here in SI ;).

      Delete
  6. Nice talking with you after the game and congrats on completing the set. Should be an exciting week and a half of the NYPL regular season! Tight race in the McNamara division.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man, thanks for stopping by my blog. And yeah the race will be really fun to watch and keep tabs on :).

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing, and very exciting. Do you or anybody happen to know where one could purchase a set of the player cards online or by phone? If they only sell them at the park, it makes it really hard for those of us that live out of town to get a set. Thanks in advance for any info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that it's really difficult to acquire the team set if you don't have access to the stadium. You can't find the team set online (although I suspect one or two will pop up on eBay eventually) and I've heard people say they have trouble getting cards through the phone.

      Out of curiosity are you related to or have some connection with Jonny Drozd?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Zippy for the info. Yes Jonny is our son and he had tried a couple of times to get some of the cards but both times by the time he could get up there they were already closed. We were trying to get up there to see Jonny play but his Grandmother has fallen ill and is in need of our help. We will figure it out just thought maybe there was an easier way. So wish we could go there for some games, it looks like a Beautiful place for baseball. Thanks again and have a great day!

      Delete
    3. Well Jonny should have at least 10 copies of his cards for his family now ;).

      Delete
  8. I just got a call from Jonny and he told me what you did. What an incredibly nice thing you did for us, I just can't thank you enough!!!! I hope to repay your kindness one day. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. You/your son, already has ;).

      Delete
    2. This is awesome. Keep up the good work, Zippy.

      Delete