Friday, August 7, 2015

I Lost Count There

Yesterday was a day that ended in "y" so you know what that means, I saw another Staten Island Yankees game.



I actually counted the ticket stubs I've accumulated this year and found that I've been to nine games this year. NINE!


I only got one autograph this time. It was from recent SIY call up Kevin Cornelius. Cornelius has basically been a utility guy since being promoted to SI. Which is to say that he's been moved around the infield (sometimes he plays third, second, shortstop or first). Still, I needed his sig and I am now down to only requiring three more signatures from this year's squad (so far).


On this day my boy LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSS Cedeno was tasked with keeping the Staten Island Yankees in first place of the McNamara division against the Hudson Valley Renegades (the Rays' NYPL affiliate).


Unfortunately Cedeno got pretty rocked as his control was sort of off. The Renegades scored four runs off of him in the first two innings. Cedeno went 4.2 innings pitched allowing four runs (three earned) and striking out four batters in the process.


In the fifth inning my other boy Travis Hissong came in to relieve Cedeno who had just allowed a double. Prior to the game Hissong and I had a little conversation (he remembers who I am at this point lol) about how he saw a preview of the Staten Island Yankees' team set. The team set wasn't available yet but I suspect it's only a matter of time. Anyway Hissong came into the game and threw 2.1 innings of scoreless ball. #dominance


It wasn't until the bottom of the ninth inning that the SI Yankees finally decided to strike back. Jhalan Jackson hit a no doubt solo home run to make the score 4-2. Later the aforementioned Kevin Cornelius hit a single to drive home Junior Valera that cut the Renegades' lead to one run. With Drew Bridges on second representing the tying run and with Cornelius at first representing the winning run and with no outs, there was a potential for a walk off victory. Especially with the opposing pitcher Diego Castillo missing the zone.


Unfortunately Brandon Wagner, Zack Zehner and Kyle Holder all struck out and the game ended with the Renegades being victorious by a score of 4-3. Bleck :P.


Anyway some other notables from yesterday's game includes how I got to meet and have a chat with Gershon Rabinowitz who writes for Pinstriped Prospects and Baseball Essential. He's been covering the Staten Island Yankees (or the NYPL in general really) for a couple of years now and he and I had a pretty long talk about the Yankees' farm system, how it's changed and the Yankees' overall philosophy when it comes to drafting and developing talent. I later bumped into him in the gift shop a few innings later.


Speaking of which I bought a new New Era fitted at the gift shop with my hands down favorite Staten Island Yankees logo. Look how sleek that is! It's better than the NYY logo! I actually had another NE had with the same logo but left it in Japan. So I guess this cap is for this continent only.

One last piece of Staten Island Yankees news is that the CEO of the SI Yanks, Steve Violetta resigned. He'll remain with the team as a consultant of sorts while they move on from Violetta to Will Smith who was the general manager of the Trenton Thunder in the past.

Anyway that was yet another SIY game post.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2015 IP Auto Count: 75

6 comments:

  1. 7 and 5/8 for a cap? Man, I'm relieved to know I'm not the only blogger with a melon for a head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically I can fit in a 7 fitted just fine. But right now I have big hair that's a result of not going to the barber for years.

      Delete
  2. Sweet hat! This is the first and only time I'll admit this... but I really like the Yankees logos... even their minor league ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah their logos are pretty iconic and look pretty classy and elegant ;).

      Delete