Tuesday, August 11, 2015

No More Humidity

Well I got my wish (at least for one night) as the humidity that's tortured me for weeks seemingly disappeared yesterday.


Yep, yesterday I went to another Staten Island Yankees game. This time I had legit reasons to be in the city. Luckily this game managed to provide me with some joy. For one thing I managed to catch up with some other autograph collectors who I have wonderful conversations with. And for another I got two really great autographs myself :).


Right off the at my first autograph was the VERY elusive Kolton Mahoney. He's a starter so he's hard to get unless you happen to go on a day when he's pitching (and no he wasn't the starter for this game) but I managed to recognize his face in the dugout and got his autograph. He was pretty surprised that I was able to figure out his name but I've spent hours analyzing people's faces and being able to recognize them (which is something I can only do while I'm still young ;)).


My other autograph was of Kyle Holder. Remember how I said yesterday that I had just received the Cedeno, Espinal and Del Bosque cards in the mail a few hours before getting them signed? Well the same thing happened with this Holder :). I got it in the mail moments before I left my house and a few hours later it became a signed and key piece of my PC :).


And this card itself is some prime white whale material. Since it's legitimately Holder's first card. Only from back when he was in college so if things go really well for Holder going forward, this is the card that's going to haunt various Holder super collectors.


Anyway this game was pretty bad (BOX SCORE). One of my favorite players on the squad this year, Yoel Espinal, was the starter for this game and he went four innings allowing five earned runs. It was heartbreaking to see one of my favorite players (and people) get clobbered.

Much like their quad-A affiliate in New York, the SI Yankees offense was a no-show and was shutout by the Brooklyn Cyclones. Things looked interesting in the ninth inning when the bases were loaded with no outs but a strikeout and a BS double play sealed SI's fate and their lead in the division shrank to 0.5.


Despite the lousy result, everything else was relatively nice. Unlike GoT night, there were barely 500 fans and without any humidity it was a really cool night that was downright cold at times.


And so I bought this hoody. It's a bit smaller than I had anticipated but in turn it's snug and will come in handy as winter gets closer and closer, :(.


Oh and before the game I found a ball in the stands, pretty neat eh?

And that was yet another MiLB game I went to. As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2015 IP Auto Count: 80

12 comments:

  1. I've never heard of anyone finding a ball at a ballgame. My focus has always been on catching one, which hasn't produced any results. Maybe I need to change my strategy. Sounds like another excellent evening at the ballpark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, that's actually the second ball I've found before the game (I gave the first to a kid who happened to be nearby). If you ever go to a MiLB game I'd highly recommend being one of the first to enter when the gates open so you have a chance to see if any of the balls hit to the stands during batting practice are still left.

      And thanks, it was :).

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks TLC :). I love that Holder too!

      Delete
  3. Substituting cold for humidity? I don't know if that's a deal I would make. But you got a pretty cool sweatshirt. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's my rationale. When it's dry and cold you can add more layers of clothing to even it out. When it's humid and hot you can get buck naked and you're still sweating bullets. I say this as a guy who spends his winters in New York City (which isn't as cold as Illinois but still relatively cold).

      And thanks :).

      Delete
  4. I'm going to have to get a Black Bears sweatshirt for this fall.

    That ball looks like it must have been ripped. Congrats on the find! The way the Black Bears stadium is set up makes it hard for a spectator to get a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really want a ball all you need is to have your daughter request for one if/when she gets close to a player ;).

      Delete
  5. No humidity? That would be October here in Georgia. And, honestly, that is the best month of the year here. College football in full swing, still warm enough to wear shorts most days, but a little chill in the air in the morning...best time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The perfect time is when the temperature is just right and not too hot or not too cool.

      Delete
  6. Love the hoodie! I'm a total hoodie, cargo shorts, and flip flops kind of guy. I'd say I wear that combination 65% of the year. As for identifying players... I noticed that guys who seek autographs have this in their blood. Whenever I go out to get San Jose Sharks autographs, I go with my buddy Mike who know what the players look like and what cars they drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was with you up until you said hoodie. I don't wear cargo shorts or any kind of shoes where half of it is missing.
      And nice :). I've never been able to identify players by car (mainly because the parking lot is a big far away).

      Delete