Thursday, August 27, 2015

Salaries (Pt. II)

I've touched upon salaries before on this blog but because I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to contracts and the money given to athletes I don't really say a lot about it.

But in recent years we've seen contracts given to big leaguers get bigger and bigger. Once Mike Trout and Bryce Harper reach the free agent market, you can bet that the Giancarlo Stanton deal will no longer be the biggest in MLB history.

And naturally people are bitching and moaning about how major leaguers are getting paid too much. Not knowing that baseball generates a ton of revenue and that that revenue was generated by the players themselves and how they probably deserve a big chunk of money for that. Also completely forgetting that we live in a world were inflation exists and a dollar from yesterday is worth less than a dollar from today.


I would offer my two cents on athletes and their salaries, but this A Dose Of Buckley represents my opinion perfectly.

Just watch it. A Dose Of Buckley may be comedic but like all good comedy, it's based on truth.

Look, at the end of the day I'd rather have the money I spend on tickets and whatnot go to the players who are THE reason I enjoy baseball in the first place than the owners. In other words, give all the money to A-Rod and keep as much of it away from Steinbrenner's wallet as possible.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the salaries. Without the player the owners don't have a cent. BUT, to play devil's advocate: salaries need to be reigned in a little, because a typical blue collar family is pretty much priced out of a ballgame. Ticket prices, parking, concessions, and souvenirs add up quickly!

    On the other, when I watch my Peoria Chiefs it usually costs me about $16. That includes free parking, a $10 ticket right behind the dugout, no souvenirs, and one $6 adult beverage. Just another reason I love the minor leagues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the pricing, the video I posted had a great take on it. As long as there are people out there willing to spend top dollar for tickets, then the team is going to sell tickets for top dollar. The typical blue collar family will just have to suffer or better yet just stay home and watch it on TV.

      And that's a pretty good deal I guess. I usually just buy a $9 general admission ticket and eat before/after the games. Oh and I try to get at least one autograph ;).

      Delete
  2. That video was hilarious and true! I would be a hypocrite if I bitched about salaries because I've shelled out some good money to watch games over the years. I also watch most of the games at home and purchase the MLB app every year. Andrew McCutchen should thank me for contributing to his salary.

    In all seriousness the Pirates really haven't priced out families yet judging by the amount of kids I see at the games. Tickets are still among the lowest in MLB and food prices are not outrageous. Drinks is where they get you, but you are allowed to bring in water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're allowed to bring in water? Man, things must be better in Pittsburgh. Here in NY people get sun screen taken away.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah. My wife brought one in the last we game she went to. Then she would refill it in the water fountain. They will check it at the gate, but we've never had a problem. Here is the rule.

      Guests are permitted to bring bottled water and food that may fit into a 16x16x8-inch soft-sided bag into the ballpark. Water bottles should not exceed 24 ounces in size, and must be clear, plastic, sealed and disposable. Children's juice boxes and items necessary for medical purposes are permitted. Alcoholic beverages, carbonated beverages, sports drinks, cans, glass bottles and thermoses are not allowed.

      Delete
  3. Capitalism!

    I have zero gripe about salaries. Most of us (outside of Warren Buffet and the likes) would take what these guys make in a second. We all want to be the highest paid person in our field. Who doesn't? I just left I job I loved for a new one offering more money. I'm not ashamed.

    International soccer players and F1 drives make more than most baseball players. If someone is willing to shell out that much, then by all means, take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. We all know we'd take as much money as possible if we were in their shoes :).

      Delete