Thursday, September 10, 2015

OOOOHHHH!!!!

So I went to see Game 1 of the NYPL Playoff series between the Staten Island Yankees and the Tri-City Valleycats.


It was the first postseason game I'd ever been to (at any level of professional baseball). Despite the fact that there were barely 100 people there, it was a fun atmosphere.


Prior to the game the team gave away these cool mini towels.

I just went to this game to give the last of my Japanese name cards to the players I'd gotten to know these past few months. And after I returned home it dawned on me that I didn't say any sort of goodbye. Hopefully the SI Yankees will return for one more game in round two so I can thank them all for the wonderful memories they've given me this year.


This game was pretty maddening but ultimately satisfying. The Yankees' first rounder James Kaprielian started the game and Big Game James ended up throwing his longest outing to date as a pro with six innings of one run ball, using only 68 pitches (almost nice ;)). Unfortunately both teams only scored 2 runs apiece so we headed to extra innings.

Thairo went 3-4 with one intentional walk!

Now when I said that this game was maddening, it was due to the fact that the SI Yankees had quite a few chances to take the lead. During the game they loaded the bases with no outs twice and failed to bring a run home both times. The second time was during extra innings and everybody in the stands (and the bullpen) were on their feet hoping to go home. Unfortunately a controversial strike call meant the game had to go on for a bit longer.


In the 11th inning, the red hot Junior Valera sent everybody home with a smile as he hit a clutch single that allowed pinch runner Danienger Perez to score and win the ballgame. WOOO!!!


Here's the video.

Remember these padawans Rex, you'll be looking for some of them this winter...

Now the Yankees head to Troy with a 1-0 advantage in the series. This season man, it's been absolutely wonderful. I sincerely hope that this wasn't the last of SI Yankee baseball in SI this year.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. Minor league playoffs are a hard sell at any level... Kids are back in school and the casual fans don't think about going to a baseball game in September. They're still fun for the more involved fans.

    Glad you had a good time and saw a good game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame how these games barely draw any crowds. They're a ton of fun.

      And thanks :).

      Delete
  2. As I write this it looks like you will get your chance to say goodbye as they re crushing Tri-City in the 2nd game. Enjoy! Though a Red Sox' fan I can't say I begrudge these guys since I autographed them twice and they were a nice bunch of kids. Much friendlier than the Spinners, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, a fellow autograph collector :).

      I've heard that the SI Yankees are a really good signing team this year. When I tried the Spinners I got rejected by everybody I asked.

      And yep, this team is championship bound! :O!

      Delete
  3. Hey, another Rex sighting! Must be fun seeing the Padawans live and in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, what better way to visualize who to rescue than by meeting them in person first?!

      And thanks, it is :).

      Delete