Thursday, December 17, 2015

Instead Of A Box... Pt. 1

Note from the editor,
This post was originally an incomplete one that got published prematurely because the editor is an idiot. It was published despite not being finished and thus some parts may feel awkward and missing (because a few things are missing that will be touched upon later).

With my scheduled clone break of 2015 Bowman Draft thrown out the window, I decided to try something else. Seeing what could be obtained for the money I was originally going to spend on a box. Now this year I was planning on getting a jumbo box which is around $130 per box (give or take), a hefty sum I know but I wanted an extravagant clone break. So let's see if I could get the cards I would've wanted for, hopefully, under that amount.

A big reason I was looking forward to Bowman Draft this year was because it had four Yankees padawan autographs. Three of which I saw in Staten Island.


Naturally we have the Yankees' first rounder James Kaprielian in refractor form to lead us off.
I'm pretty sure that this is the same photograph (minus the photoshopping) that the Panini Contenders James Kaprielian autograph used.


In the span of a few weeks I got myself three certified Jeff Degano autographs. Woof!

After browsing through a few listings and whatnot, I've found that the product offering as a whole was kind of "meh." Don't get me wrong, I love Bowman Draft even with all of it's pretty bad photoshop uniforms. But despite the padawans it felt, empty. I don't know, maybe it needed more Yankees padawans.

I didn't get to pick any up but the inserts (from what I saw) didn't really knock my socks off. Possibly because there weren't too many Yankees inserts. Who knows, maybe if I can pick some up for cheap at a card show or whatever I might think differently of them.

Now I would end it there but let's see some more cards I got even if they have nothing to do with Bowman Draft.


This James Kaprielian relic here came to me courtesy of Gavin over at Baseball Card Breakdown.
Apparently I yap about Yankees prospects so much that Gavin has become one of the cardsphere's finest in terms of Yankees prospecting. He got a masters degree in it, a certification for it and everything.


The package featured a ton of gray whales I needed but the most impressive card was this custom LUIIIIISSSSSSSSSS.


Look at that. That is tremendous. The amount of work that went into the Torrens pic on the back alone must've cost Gavin a night's sleep. Plus see the shiny star on the lower right hand corner? That's not a sticker, that's actually embedded into this card. Gavin actually cut a hole that's shaped like a star in that card and sandwiched the shiny piece of whatever that is in between the two pieces of pretty great card stock that this card was printed/made on. It's byotiful!


Austin DeCarr here was sidelined with an injury for all of 2015. He was briefly on the Staten Island Yankees roster but he was just there to go on the SIY disabled list. This Bowman Chrome autograph was part of the COMC package that I got the Luis Torrens blue prism refractor in. Prices on his autos are phenomenally low thanks to his status as a third rounder and a guy who didn't throw a single pitch in 2015.


Speaking of Yankees prospects who spent 2015 on the shelf, I engaged in probably my last international trade of 2015 with a collector in Japan. I sent them a bunch of vintage from the 70's and in turn I got back this wonderful Domingo German autograph. Don't let the Marlins uni fool you, German is in the Yankees organization. He was part of the Eovaldi/Jones for Phelps/Prado trade. He spent the entire 2015 season on the DL but he's still full of upside.


This new contact of mine in Japan was quite generous. They sent me YET ANOTHER YANKEES PITCHING PROSPECT WHO SPENT 2015 ON THE DISABLED LIST autograph with the Ty Hensley Bowman Sterling base auto. And they also sent along jersey cards of Don Mattingly and Gary Sheffield. Even though I don't like relics, I like getting these cards out of nowhere.

As stated before this was a post that went up WAY too early. There are some things that are missing from this post and all I can say is to stay tuned for Part 2 for the missing bits.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

16 comments:

  1. Nice work picking up those autos so quickly I'm over here watching Dansby-graph prices go to the moon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JJ. And yeah that trade to Atlanta did not help the hype die down.

      Delete
  2. The reverse box is always a good idea on those expensive sets. Not as fun, but a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always the temptation to just open a box anyway though :(.

      Delete
  3. The LUUUUUUIIIIIIISSSSSSS custom is tremendous. You're right about the photo on the back... he's in the box and AND of the box... too much for me to ever handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm getting fatigued just thinking about it.

      Delete
  4. Love that custom from Gavin. He did a great job.

    The Kap auto looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure did. Gav's customs are getting better and better.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff and the custom from Gavin is tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow on your custom LUUUUUUIIIIISSSSSS! Fantastic looking card. Gavin dropped a cardsphere hero on me as well, so I'll be showing that off soon.
    Those early swatch cards almost have a feeling of nostalgia for me. I'm starting to appreciate them as historical cardboard artifacts from our hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they are historical artifacts I'll give you that lol.

      Delete
  7. Glad the package eventually showed up and you're happy with the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Gav :)! Your custom really stole the show lol.

      Delete
  8. Nice that you got the Torrens. Gals customs are camb good. I've reviewed a few recently

    ReplyDelete