Saturday, March 5, 2016

2016 Has Officially Begun

So a month or two after the fact, I finally have gotten my first taste of 2016 Topps flagship.


Yes I know, I'm late to the party. I can see all of you crinkling up your Heritage wrappers.
I don't really mind since I threw out the invitation and wasn't willing to pay the $20 entrance fee. Plus that whole no buying cards goal.

Anyway that Andrew Miller came courtesy of Night Owl Cards, one of the finest bloggers you'll ever see in this corner of our blogosphere.

Normally I don't bother with veterans and non-Yankees farmhands but I made an exception for the Miller. One reason why is that I thought it'd be nice to get my first taste of 2016 Topps just to know what it's like. And I know N.O. doesn't like the Yankees so I figured I'd at least ask.
The fact that Andrew Miller doesn't really have a ton of cards (certainly not as a Yankee) out there helped for I obviously wasn't going to get a "oh buggar, another useless Jeter" type reaction.

And of course another reason was for a TTM request (I blame The Lost Collector). By the time this post goes up the card above is already in a mailbag somewhere waiting to be sent to Tampa.


Night Owl even pulled the gold parallel for me. That was mighty thoughtful of them. Although in retrospect maybe I should've sent this out for my TTM request instead. Ah well.

Okay, well since I dedicated a whole post to these two cards I might as well go on with my opinions on the cards.

We're The Millers

So 2016 Topps has gotten some flack for the design. Namely that there are no borders and that it looks more like an insert set design or a design for another product like Stadium Club. That's fair I guess. Design wise 2016 Topps has more in common with the set Topps released for Team USA in the Olympics back in 2012 than any normal flagship design.

Night Owl referred to these as smoking cards and I can definitely see why. I personally thought two different explosions were happening in the upper left corner and lower right corner so it fits.


The backs aren't really anything to write home about either. They're the same usual uninspired backs you expect from modern day cards. Although I do like seeing Miller's saves total jump from 1 to 36. I don't really like the saves stat but the unfortunate truth is that people who rack up saves get PAID. Miller was one of the few players the Yankees dangled as trade bait after the San Diego Padres got a really really great package from the Boston Red Sox for Craig Kimbrel. And it's not like there weren't any potential suitors for Miller either. Teams like the D-Backs and Astros were definitely interested. Ultimately a trade never happened and the Yankees then got Aroldis Chapman on a discount. Considering the whole offseason though, I often wonder if maybe the Yankees could've gotten Dansby Swanson for Andrew Miller. Wouldn't that have been something.

So my final verdict on 2016 Topps is, is Bowman out yet?

Anyway thanks for the Millers and for the rest of the awesome cards N.O.

And as always thank you, the readers, for stopping by.

Take care.

11 comments:

  1. I'm a big Miller fan. Good luck with the TTM request!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TLC. The base card was barely in my possession for 24 hours before I sent it out lol.

      Delete
  2. I'm still annoyed that in four years with Boston, Andrew Miller never once got a card. He moves to the Yankees, and boom, now there are cards of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the Pinstriped Premium.

      I think I remember seeing one or two minor league releases of Miller in the BOS org though. Possibly the Pawtucket Red Sox.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there is a minor league card of him in the Red Sox organization. I do get those occasionally, but I would much prefer a Major League card.

      Delete
  3. That Miller card is certainly a well-traveled fellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Imagine the stories it could tell.

      Delete
  4. I still don't have a 2016 flagship base card in my possession, but I have received an insert in a trade package. Oddly enough, I REALLY like the gold, but the base cards are just MEH to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see 2016 Topps topping too many top 10 best Topps sets anytime soon.

      Delete
  5. I remember when Andrew Miller was the centerpiece in the Miguel Cabrera deal way back when. Seems like a long time ago now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, back when he was one of the top 10 prospects in all of baseball too.

      Delete