Thursday, March 17, 2016

1979 Topps Project Wantlist & Follow Up Post

Yesterday I announced that I was going to build the 1979 Topps set and also try to see how many of the cards I could get signed.


Well in the 24 hours since that post went up I created a checklist page which I've linked to here and on the side of my page.

I've explained (hopefully well) about how everything I have has been crossed off and that everything I need hasn't been crossed off yet.

I should also point out that I've only crossed off cards I have in hand. Which is to say that I will not cross off cards if I've shipped them out as TTM requests. For example, as of the moment I'm writing this post I've sent requests to a few Yankees players who were in the 1979 Topps set and I sent their 1979 Topps cards. In this case I technically don't have them in hand anymore and because of the risk of them not coming back, I'll leave them uncrossed until either I get a new copy or until the request comes back.

And yesterday I mentioned that I'd address OPC and the Burger King issues another time. Well it's another time so I'll address them.


Regarding OPC, I don't really plan on building the set (unsigned) until this first basic set is finished. Nor do I really see myself getting as many OPC's signed either. I probably won't turn them away but I won't really go after them for a while.


While I was putting together my checklist, I found out that the Bake McBride I had signed was actually one of the cards in the 1979 Topps Burger King Philadelphia Phillies set. Don't I feel silly now.
Anyway my stance on the BK sets is like the OPC set. I might collect it (unsigned) but not until I finish the main set first.


On a final note, I think I should make it clear (because in my original post I clearly wasn't) that I'd prefer to collect/trade for unsigned 1979 Topps cards as my main mission is to finish the 1979 Topps set in general. And also I want to get the autographs myself if I can. Unless it's a signed 1979 Topps Thurman Munson. Then by all means offer it to me lol ;). That said, it's not like I'm going to turn away signed copies of 1979 Topps cards either if the people sending them are 100% okay with it.

So anyway. Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support when I decided to get this project going.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. There's a good number of these in the grocery bags I scored last weekend. When I'm done sorting I'll send you a bunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken Landreaux kind of looks like one of the guys from Key and Peele.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gonna be one heck of a project. Best of luck with that Munson. Can't imagine there are too many of those sitting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed there aren't. And the unfortunate truth is that even the signatures that got certifications are sketchy.

      Delete