Wednesday, March 16, 2016

You Know What...

A few years ago a younger Zippy Zappy proclaimed that he would never chase a set of baseball cards that has over 50 cards in the said set, or something to that effect. At the time I had just completed the 2012 Sega Card Gen set which was distributed solely in Japan and took me two years to finish. I was (hobby-wise) exhausted with set building at that point even though I had only completed one major league baseball card set.

BUT it's been two years since the set was finished. And right now I need something new to preoccupy my hobby time (you know aside from blogging, minor leaguers, TTMs, IPs, vintage Highlanders and all those other things). Because you know, what better time to announce a new baseball card endeavor than when you're right in the middle of a six-month buying hiatus?

That's right, it's time for my second ever set building mission. Of course the set in question is...


1979 Topps! I've gone on record saying how 1979 Topps is my favorite designed set of all time. In my opinion it's the ideal baseball card template. A nice big picture with tons of real estate for a nice signature. A sweet ball on the side with the name of the player and their position neatly laid out with the name of the team in a sweet ribbon. It's simple and to the point.

Whether by fate or chance, it's also a set with players I see frequently show up at card shows and sign via TTM. Also I see it constantly in dime boxes or bargain bins. Sellers can't seem to get rid of these fast enough. So much so that my unofficial slogan for the card shows I attend might as well be "You Can ALWAYS Rely On 1979 Topps!"


As some of you can probably deduce, when I say I'm building the 1979 Topps set. I also mean that I'm trying to get as many of the 1979 Topps I get autographed. Of course there are some obstacles. Some players in this set have passed away, some just flat out refuse to sign. But you know what? I'm going to give it my all and see where it takes me.

Oh right, I should probably explain where I'm starting from...


Well thanks to Mark Hoyle I completed the Yankees team set a while back. That said, I can never seem to have enough 1979 Topps Yankees (because I'm trying TTMs all willy nilly like a moron). So um, I'm basically starting at eight cards I guess? And I can't imagine I have too many unsigned cards either. I'll put up a cohesive list later.


So yeah I'm going for all the cards in the 1979 Topps set. All 726 of them. And before you ask, I'll address the Burger King exclusives and OPC version another time, right now this is a declaration of my new mission to start and finish the 1979 Topps set. And then as I attempt to build the set I'll also proceed to see how many of them I can get inked. Let the games begin!

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

18 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! Good luck. There are definitely a few good Yankees signers from that set. Looking forward to tracking your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A noble endeavor! Best of luck with the project. Let us know if you need any particular (unsigned) 79s. I've got a bunch I don't need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks defgav, for this one I'll be needing a good 700+ of the cards, and I'd prefer them to be unsigned.

      Delete
  3. Get the list up. I've got some extras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's up. I'm excited and afraid of what a determined Hoyling will look like.

      Delete
    2. Mark Hoyle is sending you a complete set. Go home, everyone.

      Delete
  4. I have some autos on 1979 cards I can send your way. Finally I can send you some cards again! Send me your address, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I appreciate the help Tony but I'd kinda prefer unsigned cards TBH. Kind of want to get the signatures myself I can.

      Delete
  5. All my Cubs dupes are yours (might be close to a team set). I'll get a package out before the end of the month.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PTT. This means I owe you a bigger package when I get more Cubbies in the future.

      Delete
  6. Throughout the 80's my buddy would go to A's games and have players and coaches sign cards. I'll see if he has any 79T cards. If he does... I'll secure them and pass them on to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji. Although I'm not necessarily looking for signed 1979 Topps cards. Unsigned ones will be just as good.

      Delete
    2. I'm almost positive I have a few of those laying around. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  7. A new set collector! Woo-hoo! I know I have a few extras -- although you probably don't want my beat-up ones that I bought back in '79.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be happy to take them in if you're okay with parting with them N.O.

      Delete