Thursday, April 14, 2016

My Real First Baseball Card Purchase Of 2016

Okay so yesterday I blogged about my second baseball card purchase of 2016, ironically my actual first baseball card purchase of 2016 came to my doorstep yesterday too.


It was basically a bunch of singles from my go-to seller on eBay (GoSportsCards) who sells minor league team issued card sets and singles from those card sets on eBay. Admittedly some of the singles can be priced a bit high but in some cases it beats having to buy multiple the team sets to get the same amount you want.


Case in point were these four Nestor Cortes cards from the 2015 Pulaski Yankees team set. Nestor Cortes had himself a fine 2015 season and is my personal pick for sleeper prospect in the Yankees organization. I kinda hope I can see Cortes in Staten Island this year.


I also bought four Dave Bialases from the 2015 Tampa Yankees set. He's not a player but he's going to be the manager for the 2016 Staten Island Yankees so I obviously picked some up.


A pair of Austin Romines. Romine is one of my favorite players even though I never met him. His once promising career has been somewhat slowed by injuries and various other roadblocks, and unfortunately his time in Pinstripes is pretty short. Chances are he'll reach free agency soon (if the Yankees DFA him again) and he can probably get a chance to be a starting catcher on a really bad team or a backup catcher on a relatively good team.


I don't know why it took me so long to blog about Cale Coshow. He's one of the top 30 prospects in the NYY organization right now. Coshow is a pitcher who can throw pure heat. The question is whether the Yankees see him as a starter or reliever long term. He's gone back and forth a few times and looks poised to be effective in both roles.


I bought this Miguel Andujar purely for the photograph. Andujar was one of the participants in the 2015 Florida State League Home Run Derby and he won that same contest. Here he is seen posing with the trophy in his hand. It's a cool card IMO.



And finally I bought two Angels from the Riverdogs set. Angel Rincon and Angel Aguilar. Both have had varying levels of success and project to have varying levels of potential.


One thing I found semi-notable was that both the Charleston cards and Tampa cards (both made by Grandstand BTW) had the same exact back designs only with minor color changes.

And this was my very first pickup here in 2016. Nothing flashy, but really cool to me.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

8 comments:

  1. Great pickups. You're all ready to go. I sense some TTM requests in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TLC. Some are TTM requests but most are just for my gigantic Yankees prospect project.

      Delete
  2. It feels good knowing that minor league cards are alive and well in today's hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. In fact with the minor league's popularity rising I'd say it's doing better than ever.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff. Coincidentally, I just placed an order with this guy myself, grabbing some Gavins and Guys From Granite. Yeah, sometimes a little more per card than you'd like to pay, but the free combined shipping helps make it decent if you buy a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Plus we both know that they'd be even more overpriced on other outlets like COMC, let's be real.

      Delete
  4. Never heard of any of these guys... but at least I now know who won the 2015 Florida State League Home Run Derby.

    ReplyDelete