Thursday, April 21, 2016

Something About Seeing It Signed...

Everybody collects baseball cards differently. As such everybody sees baseball cards differently as well.


You ask 25 different collectors what they think when they see that card and you'll probably get at least 10 different answers. Some of those questions may include "How much is that card worth? Do I have that card already? What is that card? Who the heck is Austin Aune? etc..."


The first question on my mind when I see this card is, can I get the player's signature on this?

I don't know why but for some reason I consider cards that are just unsigned like this to be "naked" and it discomforts me. There is a part of me that wants an autograph of the player somewhere on the card. It could be a nice bold one in the middle of the card in blue ink. It could be a pretty mediocre signature written in pen on the side. As long as there's a signature of the player on the card somewhere, I'm satisfied.

And for some reason I also have to obtain the signature myself, whether it's via IP or TTM. Otherwise it's like getting a certified autograph and I have little-to-no interaction with the player or the autograph other than obtaining it.


There. Now I can be at peace. The card has proper attire on and I know it's authentic because I saw Austin Aune sign this card for me in person back in 2014.

I don't know, there's something inherently cool to me about seeing cards go from being naked to being signed. Whether it's because the player on the card has touched the card itself at one point or because I got an autograph myself (most likely both and other factors), I just find it satisfying.


It's almost as though in order for some cards to mean anything to me they have to be signed by the player on it.
Fake/facsimile autographs won't cut it. They stink.


In my worldview the player on the card has to touch and sign the baseball card in order for that particular baseball card to reach it's full potential.

Forever Naked

Now of course I can't get every baseball card I own signed for various reasons (I don't think A-Rod would be too keen on signing 200+ cards for me in one sitting), but for as long as there's a chance I'll try and get cards I deem cool enough to keep around signed.

The Yankees cards in my collection that I haven't dumped onto The Lost Collector passed the first test of sticking around for some reason. Unless the players are dead and/or are such a significant part of my collection (like my T206es) they must then pass the second test of being signed if they want to stick around. Otherwise they slip in my eyes and may eventually end up in piles of Yankees cards designated for TLC, The Dutch Card Guy, Draft2Dynasty and other Yankee collectors I haven't engaged in trades with yet.

Even then my interests and standards change so much that they might end up there anyway. There was a point when I thought I'd never trade away some of the cards I shipped off to TLC, and yet they're his now.


Anyway this was all my way of saying that I find it cool that I can see cards go from unsigned cards to signed cards that were (presumably) once held by the player actually depicted on the card.


As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

9 comments:

  1. I appreciate being the beneficiary of so many!

    I agree - cards look better with signatures! I like the effort of a TTM or IP. Helps to make it a bit more satisfying. It's also a great way to put 80s junk to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about putting the junk wax to good use.

      Delete
  2. Nice post. It's cooling seeing how everybody has a different way of collecting in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of cards being naked, but I can see where you are coming from.
    I always have one good autograph worthy card of each current Cub ready to get auto'd just in case. I'm not sure what that "just in case is", but I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in case the Cubbies eat at a restaurant you happen to be eating at too right ;)?

      Delete
  4. I share the same point of view and it's the reason I've tried to cut down on MLB card purchases and prefer draft pick / minor league and prospect cards - easier to get the guys when they are young as opposed to established MLB players.

    ReplyDelete