Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Three Months Of Baseball Card Sobriety

I wasn't quite sure I was going to be able to last this long without buying any cards, but I did it.

I went all 31 days in March without buying a single baseball card. And I also went the whole month without buying any trading cards in general. So I'm now halfway through my goal of not buying any baseball cards for six months. And I've accomplished one more goal of not buying a trading card of any sort for a month too.

Hobby-wise I haven't had much to say recently. I've avoided the Clone Breaks posts like the plague due to my writer's block and the few topics I did have to blog about were basically my thoughts and reactions to current events in Yankee land.

The month of March passed by really quickly and the acquisitions I made this month were all trades or TTM returns.


Speaking of which the rumors were true, Spring Training TTMs are getting worse. I sent out more than 70 requests this spring (I added a few more since my initial post), of which I've gotten back 18 of them. I'm assume a few more will trickle in as the season goes on but yeesh, I didn't think it'd be this bad. It's not like I sent to too many superstars either.

That said minor league baseball season is almost here (like later this week for some teams) and it's time to really get to work on TTMs. I'm a lot more optimistic about that for sure.


While we're on the subject, I've been working on a few posts pertaining to the minors. Including another crash course of another team's farm system, a post where I share how I collect prospect cards, and several involving Luis Torrens and his eminent (but delayed) return.


I also managed to make some progress on my 1979 Topps project. Or rather the subproject where I try to get autographs as I got TTM returns from Ron Cey, Ron Guidry, Brian Johnson, Bucky Dent and Don Gullett.

Oy vey, looking at what I've written so far makes me realize just how boring this blog must be now (not that it was ever that exciting). Giving up buying cards for a while saves money but it sure leaves a fella with less to talk about.


Then again, maybe it's about time I went back and actually blogged about the stuff I already have. There are hundreds of cards waiting to have their time in the sunlight with something notable said about them (if not individually then collectively).

But that sounds haaaaaard.

Ah screw it, I'll think of something and then feel really bad when I realize I can never flesh out my ideas into meaningful or compelling blogposts.


Although I can probably blog about how I appear to have won a contest run by Topps.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. Pretty much all I buy these days is found on eBay or at shows. That Arcia, though. WOW -- such a cool card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds smart. And thanks, this was back when he was a near unknown.

      Delete
  2. I like the Legacy set, but it's too rich for my blood. Congrats on the three month hurdle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I do like the designs though. Very classy. And thanks.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. At least you got close to one third man. I just barely reached one third myself lol.

      Delete
  4. Geez, Topps actually lets bloggers win contests? I figured were all banned. (Or maybe it's just me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting to win either since non-US collectors seem to be banned. But I'll take it.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the contest win and your cardboard sobriety. I'll take a month off here and there, but not sure I could make it 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sooner or later I will buy a baseball card again. And resume my sobriety another month.

      Delete