Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Best Of The Rest

Stealing Home and I have had a long and pretty fruitful game of tennis regarding trade packages. I lost track of who owes what at this point and just chuck cards of quality his way just in case it's me. Every now and then he does the same, probably to keep me in debt.

Stealing Home is a huge Dodgers fan; if not for the presence of Night Owl Cards, he'd probably be the Dodgers representative in that Supertraders group. Meanwhile if we were in a vacuum where The Lost Collector, Tim B., The Dutch Card Guy, Drew, Frankie, The Italian Completist or Ana Lu weren't present I'd probably be the Yankees representative. Maybe.

But we're not, and thus we're the best of the rest (I think) on our corner of the blogosphere.


Group or not, SH sure knows how to trade like a supertrader. SH previously sent me even more A-Rods from 2016 but my departure from my previous photo storing site pretty much destroyed the post I had brewing. Well we won't let that happen this time.


I have a suspicion this package pretty much originated from when I commented about how nice this Marketside Sale oddball was. I mean, it is nice. The black bar at the bottom (and what can loosely be defined as the "design" of these Marketside cards) work well with Sale's black uniform. Throw in how Sale's almost as good as Kershaw (almost) and this is a cool card.


Speaking of food, these two Jeters aren't exactly food issues but it is apparent that they were sponsored by food companies. These two Fleers from 2001 have the Ritz and Oreo logos on the back. I'm guessing Nabisco sponsored these All Star Game giveaways(?).
BTW, according to these cards Jeter's height (6'3") is equivalent to 150 Oreos or 321 Ritz. And Jeter's weight (195 lbs) is equivalent to 7,956 Oreos or 25,740 Ritz.


Okay enough Jeter talk, we have a real Yankees hero here.


And here.


And here.


And of course here.
Due to my departure from my previous photo-storing site, my In (A-)Rod We Trust posts have been deleted. This will have to do.


A pair of Refsnyder rookie cards. Refsnyder's been yo-yo'd up and down so much that he'd probably be better off just being traded to another team. And if/when he does better in a weaker division (compared to the AL East) the Yankees fans will complain about how the Yankees need to keep their youngsters.


Former Blue Jay-turned-Yankee Jesse Barfield. Look at those arms.


Hark, a Dodgers card, of a former Red Sock.
There's two ways to interpret this card's inclusion in this trade package. SH just sent it along at random or by mistake, or he sent this as a declaration of war. Sending a Yankees fan like me a card of a player who has deep Red Sox ties. A Big Hirok card will suffice SH ;).


Some Donnie Baseballs. I'm sure SH is feeling some relief now that Don Mattingly and his peculiar managing habits are out of L.A., because that LAD bullpen sure isn't giving him any.


Of course there were more cards in the package but I think that the point has been made, SH uses Rolling Stones themed note-pads.

So yeah, thanks SH. I don't know how I've gone this long as a semi-functioning human being without knowing what Jeter's height or weight was in terms of Oreos and Ritz. In all seriousness though thanks for the A-Rods. I needed them.

And as always thank you (the readers) for stopping by. Take care :).

14 comments:

  1. I like those Jeter oddballs! I haven't seen those.

    Don't sell yourself short either! Both of you guys are top notch respective team card bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah those caught me off guard too.

      And thanks TLC.

      Delete
    2. Those cards are just like some Cal Ripken Jr giveaways that I got at the All-Star fanfest here in Anaheim.

      Delete
    3. Awesome, thanks for the info SH!

      Delete
  2. I don't know about you, but I think we all make a pretty solid "Core 8" (more or less). Nice mailday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think so too. Of course there's probably one or two Yankees blogs I'm forgetting.

      Delete
  3. I think I'm going to do a Marketside card post tonight. I made a really stupid purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to Dodgers and Yankees, my stuff gets divided up quickly and a lot of times I end up having to go out and buy/trade for fresh trade bait. There aren't a lot of advantages when it comes to being an Athletics collector... but I guess one of them would be that there aren't a lot of us out there.

    By the way... I received this huge & heavy package last week. Looking forward to diving into it. Thanks Kenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I think you might "benefit" from being the only A's collector a lot of people know. More A's cards for you my friend :).

      And glad you got the package. Enjoy :)!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for coming up with a cool new nick for us, ZZ. I love it!
    Posts about your package to me coming up starting tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like groups too much since it risks alienating newcomers but I just thought the name worked.
      And thanks, looking forward to them :).

      Delete
  6. Nice cards. On the subject of teams, even though I'm the Reds rep in the Supertrader group, I feel like there are very few Reds collectors out there ... I can only think of 2-3 others besides myself. Same goes for the Indians but I think there might be one other person out there who collects Indians cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have four Reds collectors on my blogroll. And that's including one who collects more than just Reds.

      And I know some Indians collectors. One I trade with frequently. Only catch is that they live in Japan.

      Delete