Saturday, June 11, 2016

Yes, I'm Weak

Roughly a week ago Topps and New Era announced a new promotion where you could get a pack of limited edition baseball cards with the purchase of a hat at participating Lids stores.


Like these.

Back when I was in high school I would've been all over this promotion since I used to be a big fan of hats and fitted NEs. That time as sort of passed but I decided it'd be fun to see what exactly this promo had to offer.


The hat I got was a Yankees snapback. It's not for me because I don't like snapbacks. It's something I bought as a gift for a friend of mine who wears a Mets cap (he's not a Mets fan though). Negotiation will not work so coercion is the only way.

Anyway I got a pack of cards and hoped to pull the lone Yankees representative Dellin Betances. Was I successful? Did I beat the odds and get a relic instead?


No relic. I could tell by how slim the pack was that it was just going to be four regular cards. Still, Jacob deGrom is a nice name to pull. Especially around these parts.


C/1B, haha. How long until Buster Posey ends up a full time first baseman ala Mauer? 4 years?


Alright now this card is cool. Look at Andrew McCutchen coming out of the dugout with all of those fans behind him. This appears to be before a rally of some sort judging from the "Wave Your Towel" on the electronic sign and the Pittsburgh faithful waving flags and towels. Also note that this was taken at 7:53 PM. I approve of this card as a whole.


WOOOO!!! The card I wanted was in this pack at the very end!
Dellin Betances is the lone Yankees representative and I'm quite glad I don't have to dish out money to buy this on eBay anymore. The background suggests that this is a night shot but I could be wrong.


Here are what the backs look like. Note how in the upper right hand corner there are the words NEW ERA right above the number.
Also note how on the lower right hand corner there's a New Era logo right next to the MLB and MLBPA logos. In the future when people forget about these and find these in quarter/dime boxes that'll be the way collectors tell these apart from the regular flagship releases.


At the end there was this advertisement card for Topps and Topps Bunt. The other side had a code for a free pack of Topps Bunt.


Here's the back of the wrapper for those of you who're interested. Note the insane odds of pulling anything other than normal base cards. If you can see them that is.

Anyway that was my pack of Topps Lids. I may or may not go back to get more packs, er I mean more hats for other friends.

In some ways I'm glad that these oddball cards are starting reemerge again. The last oddballs I had were those Sega Card Gens in 2013. And here in 2016 we've had two in the form of these and those market side cards sold at WalMarts.

But in another way this kind of annoys me. I just know that casual shoppers at Lids who get these are probably throwing these cards away. As such who knows what'll happen to the cards with crazy odds. The thought of some dumb soul throwing away a Bryce Harper autographed hat relic will keep me up at night until I pull the damn thing myself (and throw it away myself).

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

17 comments:

  1. Nice!! So awesome you pull the Dellin.

    The regular fitted caps don't fit me well. They all look like high hats. I go with the easy fitted ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TLC :).

      Right now I'm trying to grow a mullet so I don't wear hats as often as I used to.

      Delete
    2. Speaking of mullets, did you see Matsui's during the Old Timer's Game?! It was a thing of beauty...the mullet, that is. The homer was ok too.

      Delete
    3. It's a shame Topps didn't make a ToppsNow card for Matsui's mullet. Or his home run.

      Delete
  2. The day Buster moves to first they'll change all the rules, neighborhood plays at first. No charging /sliding into 1B anymore.

    Oh btw I caught your boy Clarkin's start last Saturday, looked good, defense gave him no breaks. Whoever was playing 1B needs some work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you were the catcher in that game Jeff? Lol ;).

      Clarkin's not exactly "my boy" (that title goes to Torrens) but that's good to hear. The Clarkin part, not the 1B part.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't worry about any Bryce Harper autographed hat relics being thrown away... since Lids employees around the country are pack searching and listing them on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's true I wonder why there are so few relics on eBay. That said, I kinda hope that that's true so that these cards can see the light of day more.

      Delete
  4. I've never been a big hat-wearer, but I like this promotion. Anything Topps can do to get cards in the hands of non-collectors is worth a shot. Though, as you mentioned, I do wonder how many of these will simply be tossed in the trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to look into the garbage can right in front of the Lids store I went to, but I had too much dignity (darn it!).

      Delete
  5. It's funny you got the same pack as I did, but swapping out Stroman for Betances. Congrats on landing the one you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm starting to sense that once you pull a Stroman/deGrom, you can predict the next three cards that are supposed to be inserted.

      Delete
  6. It's cool they used different photos from the base set and didn't just change the card number. The Joc Pederson card is a nice Ivy shot so I'll be keeping my eyes open for one of those and the Kyle Schwarber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. Right now these are overpriced as heck.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeesh, a Met, a Giant and a Yankee -- all on that awful 2016 design. I'll never buy these because I've always thought hats should be no more than $7 and never buy them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd blame the design N.O. Lol ;).

      If it's any consolation (though I doubt you'd care) the checklist makes it so no one ends up with the untradeable teams like Cleveland, Miami, Tampa or Colorado.

      Delete