Friday, July 22, 2016

Been A While...

Yesterday I went to my first baseball game at Staten Island in nearly two weeks. Woof, guess the drive's not as strong for me this year.


But I still went and I made the most of my time before the game to get autographs.
In recent times the Staten Island Yankees roster has shuffled around so many players that it's been crazy to try and keep up. A lot of players got called up to Charleston after so many Charleston players were called up to Tampa (unfortunately some Tampa guys were released). In this midst of the craziness was some awesomeness and some frustration.


First up is a guy I was really excited to finally get an autograph of. YANCARLOS BAEZ!
Baez was signed by the New York Yankees as a non-drafted free agent back in 2012 (the same class as Luis Torrens and Alexander Palma!). Baez is an intriguing infield prospect who is a switch hitter and line drive power that may or may not increase with time and growth.
I'm really glad I was able to get Baez's autograph on that Prizm Draft card after nearly three years of owning that card after pulling it myself.


Next were a pair of David Sosebees. Sosebee was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 28th round of the 2015 MLB Player Draft. He projects to be a reliever throughout his career as a professional and may be of some use for the Yankees.

The Photograph Used For This Custom Was Taken By Bryan Green of Pinstriped Prospects

Here is the newest catcher to join Staten Island, Jerry Seitz. Seitz was signed by the New York Yankees as a non-drafted free agent and arrived stateside last year. In an org that's trying to see exactly what they have in lower level catchers, it'll be interesting to see how Seitz fares in the mix. Josh Sabo of Pinstriped Prospects picked him as the fourth best catching prospect in the Yankees org this past winter.

The Photograph Used For This Card Was Taken By Robert M. Pimpsner of RMP Media and Pinstriped Prospects

Here is Timmy Robinson. Timmy Robinson was this year's 21st rounder for the Yankees. The center fielder had himself quite a night on this game as he went 3-for-4 with two home runs, five RBI and scored two runs. He was a pretty cool dude actually, he wanted to make sure everybody who was waiting for autographs got his (if they wanted it). And I guess he was rewarded for his generosity.


Next up I got Taylor Widener. Widener was the Yankees' 12th rounder this year. The righty has seen action out of the bullpen this year. Since turning pro he's thrown 12.1 innings pitched with ZERO earned runs and 20 strikeouts. 2.1 of those innings came on this day as well as five of those K's. He's good. He probably won't be in SI for much longer. He also got the win on this day.


Here is Brooks Kriske. Kriske was the Yankees' sixth rounder this year. Armed with a fastball that can reach the mid 90's and some work in progress breaking pitches. Kriske projects to be a major league caliber reliever (at the very least). Maybe even a dominant reliever.


And finally here is Ben Ruta. Ben Ruta actually attended Wagner College which meant that he played a number of games at Staten Island as an amateur. SI Live's Jim Waggoner had a good piece on Ruta's return to the ballpark where he spent a lot of time back in college.


The game itself was pretty good. Although I did leave after the top of the first.

Austin DeCarr was on the mound and starting for the Yankees. For some reason I always seem to see DeCarr starting whenever I go to a game. No complaints because I want to see what DeCarr can do. But it makes me think that no other starters exist at times, lol.

DeCarr when 3.2 innings pitched getting three k's and allowing three runs on six hits. Obviously the Yankees have him on an innings limit after his return from Tommy John surgery.


On this particular day rehabbing outfielder Carlos Vidal was with the SI Yankees. By the time I heard about the news I had already left my house and was headed to SI so I couldn't go home and grab his Pulaski card from last year. ARGH!

I think not signing for me jinxed Vidal since he went 0-for-4 with 3 k's. Oof. Hopefully he'll still be with the team when I see him next and he can sign for me then and have the greatest game of his life ;).

The Yankees managed to defeat the Tri-City Valleycats (the Astros' affiliate) 6-5. Mostly thanks to Robinson's home runs. Staten Island has a comfortable first place lead in the division for now (two games ahead of the Hudson Valley Renegades).

And that was my latest trip to Staten Island. As always thanks for stopping by and take care.

2016 IP Auto Count: 32

13 comments:

  1. Fourth best catcher in the Yankee system? Guaranteed he'll be in Bowman next year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been slow on Black Bears games too. I might go tomorrow.

    Good job on the autos. You have it down to a science.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I didn't even mention that I was able to get a handful for some collector friends of mine too.

      Delete
  3. Those autos look great! Solid trip to the ballpark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the first time I've seen the Renegades mentioned on a blog post after about 2 years of reading card blogs. They play about 10 minutes away from me by car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should've followed sooner lol, I blogged about them last year a lot.

      Delete
  5. I think I'd pay money just to watch you do your thing at an SI game. All those autos before a game? Wow.
    I went to the Tennessee Smokies and Mississippi Braves game last night and didn't see any players give out autos in the ballpark. They do have a place marked where the players walk in for autograph seekers... in the sun. Brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send me a e-check via paypal PTT.

      Oof, that's brutal. But I guess that's the price some hardcore collectors pay.

      Delete
  6. Wait. You stayed for half an inning? There's gotta be an awesome story behind this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is "I just don't feel like staying the whole game and want to go home" an awesome enough story?

      Delete
    2. Well... I was expecting a few more plot twists and possibly a few mail order brides who are addicted to Hot Cheetos in the mix. But I guess your story will suffice.

      Delete