Monday, July 25, 2016

Bummer In Brooklyn

Yesterday was a pretty hot but also pretty mixed day.

No Ticket Stub, I Misplaced Mine

I went to go see the Staten Island Yankees take on the Brooklyn Cyclones in Brooklyn yesterday. This time with my girlfriend, who wanted to see me be a complete fanboy for once (although my fanboyism was mild at best due to how I only really went after one player for an autograph this time).


My lone autograph was Carlos Vidal.
Vidal was signed by the New York Yankees as an international non-drafted free agent back in 2014. Vidal's an intriguing prospect, he's an outfielder who is very solid both offensively and defensively. Vidal seems to get comparisons to former Yankees outfielder Ramon Flores, and Flores himself was a guy who screamed "fourth outfielder who carves out a ten year career in the NL" so that's good for Vidal. Vidal had been out for this year since May with an unknown injury and was playing with the Staten Island Yankees on a rehab assignment. Although on this particular day he was out of the lineup.

And maybe the game would've been better if he had been playing instead because the game was pretty bad.

This was my girlfriend's first ever baseball game and I was hoping the Yankees and Cyclones could put on a pretty interesting match. Instead we got a really long snooze-fest. By the two hour and thirty minute mark, the game was still in the six inning. As a guy who's seen entire innings end in ten minutes, this is sub-optimal. And it's not like those long innings were occupied with tons of action. It was filled with tons of bad pitches and base runners that almost never came home. Blarg. I was so unamused and worried that my girlfriend was bored to death that we decided to leave early. Especially after seeing Brooklyn establish a comfortable three run lead.

After we left, the Yankees went on to lose 0-3. :P.

I don't mind the Yankees losing part. Truth be told this team isn't very good since the roster shakeups took most of the good players away to Charleston and the replacements are, not great. I'm just bummed I couldn't have picked a better game to introduce my girlfriend to baseball. This game was so boring. It's the kind of bad game that justifies my decision to just leave games early after I've obtained the autographs. I think I'll just stick with movies, museums and plays (we've been wanting to see The Glass Menagerie for a while now actually) in the future for entertainment-centered dates. I hate baseball.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2016 IP Auto Count: 33

9 comments:

  1. My wife doesn't full around with baseball that much. She is ok if she knows a fireworks show or a pierogi race is on the horizon, but she would much rather do the museum or play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBH I'm not really sure if I'm going for the games or just for the autographs anymore. Most likely the latter.

      Delete
  2. My wife is much like MWTP's... museums and plays all the way. But, she is willing to stick out a 9 inning affair with me from time-to-time.
    I think the first game I went to with her was a well-played 2-1 Cubs game which took under 2.5 hours. She thought it was boring because there wasn't much scoring. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many acronyms!!!

      2-1 is a low scoring game so I don't blame her. Unfortunately not all games can be like Game 6 of the 2011 World Series. Utter insanity and pure awesomeness.

      Delete
  3. At least it was Carlos Vidal and not Vidal Nuno, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess. Gotta enjoy the small victories too I suppose.

      Delete
  4. My wife indulges my baseball card habit and will, from time to time, go to a game with me if I'm inclined to go. Usually, we'll leave early if we do go, though, because Atlanta traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can ever ask my girlfriend to accompany me to a game again. I'm worried we'll both be really bored.

      Delete