Thursday, August 4, 2016

A Forgotten Part Of 2011

So 2011 was the year I really started being a full time baseball card collector. I still remember picking up 2011 Topps Series 2 and triggering what would go on to be something so...substantial for years to come.

Now 2011 had a ton of sets. A lot of them can be fun to look back on because they're back when guys like Mike Trout and Bryce Harper were just breaking into the big leagues or on the cusp of stardom. Unfortunately the prices on those sets are always too great for me to care so let's look at a forgotten set from 2011 that's not too expensive at all. Sort of.

Pretty Cool Shot IMHO

Yep, 2011 Topps Attax!

Do any of you remember Topps Attax? It was Topps' failed attempt at making a table top card game using baseball cards to appeal to youths who are attracted to other playable card games like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon. It wasn't the first of it's genre but thus far it's been the last.

One thing I really remember from 2011 is how the Topps Attax set had an online version on Topps' website. It had a few hundred cards I believe (I can't remember exactly) virtually and I actually got every card. I remember there was a game you could play too where you mixed and matched pitchers and hitters. I distinctly remember using guys like Corey Hart and Omar Infante who had a 97 score "Special."

G.O.A.T.

Now Topps Attax has been present in other sports since the early 2000's. There was a version for football (soccer) called Match Attax released in the UK/Europe very early on and the baseball version didn't really get released until around 2009. There are also Attax cards of other sports like US football, wrestling and Rugby. Even non-sports like Star Wars and Doctor Who.

Shiny Jeets

In 2011 Topps Attax met it's end because baseball card collectors/baseball fans aren't exactly table top gamers. Like the versions that came before it, Topps Attax had both base versions and shiny foil versions. The Derek Jeter above is a shiny foil version that came with a starter pack.

One of Jorge's last cards as an active player

I'll be honest, I have no idea how to play Topps Attax. If I had to guess it's probably like two players play a pitcher and a batter against each other, the pitcher-player gets to choose which ball to throw (Fastball, Change-up and Specialty) and if the hitter's number in that category they win. I could be wrong but then again I could be right.

Future Mariner Robinson Cano

The instructions on the cards are probably what to do in the event that something happens/is triggered.

Still a Yankee

And sometimes there's a bit of trivia about the player too.

Future Twin Phil Hughes

Okay now let's get to the real reason I made this post. As you can all tell, the cards I've been showing are Yankees themed.

Topps Attax seems to dislike Granderson

That's because I've been building this team set since 2011. I'm getting close despite a three year hiatus.

That Specialty value is nice

I have a majority of the Yankees team set but there are a few that I'm still missing.

As far as the then-active guys go I only need:
*Nick Swisher (#166)
*Mariano Rivera (#143)

Tex batting fifth is why the 2016 Yankees fail

But, of course, with the Yankees there are retired guys (called "Legends" in this set) who are hard to find.

They are:
*Babe Ruth (#A1)
*Mickey Mantle (#A2)

Well okay the Mantle is up on COMC but it's priced more than what I'm willing to pay. And Babe Ruth? I can't even find it. I know it exists though, just look at this.

So yes, I'm going to attempt to build this team set. Even for a dinky set like this it appears as though the Legends will give me trouble. Oh joy.

If any of you have any of the four I need, feel free to contact me.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

8 comments:

  1. I was just getting back into collecting - and actually started the blog in 2011. I can't say I ever bought any Topps Attax, but I've certainly received a decent amount in trade packages. I don't recall if I have any of the guys you are looking for, but will gladly check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably have some fun with photoshop and Topps Attax cards. I feel like the Sabathia could have a Capn Crunch reference somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like oddball issues like Attax. Found boxes on this site:

    http://www.potomacdist.com/detail.asp?ItemId=11tabbb&r=771&gclid=CjwKEAjwz4u9BRCbioK3stnBznESJADA75xb8kgDL4MWZXgOT9FdhCGpzHL27gVyvFhjPAwTfPSHuxoCS7jw_wcB#.V6NRoJMrKRs

    $28 + $9.50 shipping

    I'll have to check if my local distributer has any left in stock. If he does, maybe I'll bust a box for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to open some Attax retail packs. Hmm, I wonder...

      Delete
  4. I love card game/baseball card hybrid sets - I don't care for playing them, but they sure do make for some unique oddballs. If you're looking to build another Yankees card game team set, there has been one more hybrid set produced since Attax; last year, Platinum Series Baseball was crowdfunded and license by the Players Association. However, it predictably failed to take off and has since been discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've seen that. But the card designs look hideous.

      Delete