Friday, August 5, 2016

Getting P(-To)WN'd: Repacks vs Singles

A while back I got a fantastic package from P-Town Tom, author of Waiting 'Til Next Year. I Zapped PTT with a bunch of Cubs and he P(-To)WN'd me back with two insanely good repacks.


Two of PTT's repacks came in this box of Fleer Flair 1993 Premier Edition mini box. There was another mini box that was full of Indians for my buddy Anco.


According to PTT's letter there's an autograph hot pack in one of the two packs. And that there are ten cards total.

Now naturally I thought about doing a pack war with a pack of something like Topps flagship but I didn't feel like spending $2-3 for a pack of what was doomed to be disappointing from the very moment I touched the pack. So instead I decided to go at it from a more interesting route.

The other day I stopped by Chameleon Comics And Cards in New York City. They had a little box of singles which were a dime each. I got ten cards for various purposes and will place those ten against the ten from P-Town Tom in a battle of the most likely awesome offerings of P-Town against the handpicked cream of the crop in downtown NYC. Let's get to it!

For future reference, PTT's cards will be on the left. My handpicked singles will be on the right.

Pack 1.
Round 1.


Fowl Boggs vs Domingo Acevedo

*Reasons to go with Boggs: Beer and chicken
*Reasons not to go with Boggs: This is an illustration and not a real photograph

*Reasons to go with ACE: #PitcherFace, Staten Island Yankee, Dominant Prospect
*Reason not to go with Boggs: Dupe

Give the point to Boggs.

PTT: 1
Singles: 0

Round 2.


Mount Mick vs Grant Holmes

*Reason to go with Mick: The Mt. Rushmore of NYY on a card
*Reason not to go with Mick: No Luis Torrens or Jack Chesbro

*Reasons to go with Holmes: Team called Loons, Dodgers affiliate, trade bait for LAD collectors
*Reason not to go with Holmes: No longer a Dodgers prospect

Oof, tough call. But, I guess I'll go with the founding fathers of Yankee land.

PTT: 2
Singles: 0

Round 3.


Reggie October vs Jermaine Palacios

*Reason to go with Reggie: It's Reggie
*Reason not to go with Reggie: It's Reggie

*Reason to go with Palacios: That name!
*Reason not to go with Palacios: I had never heard of him before I found this card

You know what, the fact that a prospect crept up on me impresses me. Point goes towards singles.

PTT: 2
Singles: 1

Round 4.


Raging Tartabull vs Tyler Wagner

*Reason to go with Bull: He's a snorting bull
*Reason not to go with Bull: Bullshit

*Reason to go with Wagner: Numbered to 499
*Reason no to go with Wagner: Now a Diamondback

Give it to the bull. Not even a 10 cent 499 parallel can beat the bull.

PTT: 3
Singles: 1

Round 5.


Greenback Jack vs Jorge Soler

*Reason to go with Jack: Jack McDowell is coming to a local card show, should I give him this?
*Reason not to go with Jack: The guy on the $1000 bill is cross with him

*Reason to go with Soler: Finest base for P-Town Tom
*Reason not to go with Soler: He's not a Yankee

I'm not much of a capitalist so I'll go with Soler here.

PTT: 3
Singles: 2

So through pack one P-TT's pack remains in the lead. Let's see what happens in pack two. I have a feeling I can pull an autograph in this one.

Pack 2.
Round 1.


Rony Bautista vs Corey Black

*Reasons to go with Rony: I met him once, autographed
*Reason not to go with Rony: I already have this card courtesy of Fuji

*Reason to go with Corey: Former Yankees prospect
*Reason not to go with Corey: No autograph

Unfortunately, I must give the point to Corey Black. This is my first official card of Black as a Cub.

PTT: 3
Singles: 3

Round 2.


Tyler Wade vs Daz Cameron

Screw the reasons, I needed this Tyler Wade autograph from 2014 Bowman Chrome towards my team set. PTT gets TWO points for this!

PTT: 5
Singles: 3

Round 3.


Gabriel Encinas vs Brady Aiken

Reasons to go with Encinas: High-90's heat! Autographed!
Reason not to go with Encinas: This is a dupe

Reason to go with Aiken: Former first overall pick
Reason not to go with Aiken: He's probably doomed

Hmm... this is tough. I'll just go with Aiken because this is my first Aiken.

PTT: 5
Singles: 4

Round 4.


Fred Lewis vs Yadier Alvarez

Reason to go with Lewis: Southpaw with high-90's heat, Autographed!
Reasons to no go with Lewis: Released by the Yankees, on the wrong side of 20, dupe

Reasons to go with Yadier Alvarez: Top Dodgers prospect, really good prospect
Reason not to go with Yadier Alvarez: It's not autographed

Oof, sorry PTT. But this is like my third Fred Lewis autograph. Point goes to Alvarez.

PTT: 5
Singles: 5

So with that we've reached the final round, which serves as the tiebreaker round. Who will win?

Round 5.


Jacob Lindgren vs Jharel Cotton

Now PTT obviously has this match in his hands. Lindgren is another need like Wade. But instead of just dismissing this, let's just go through one more rundown of seeing why/why not I should go with both.

Reason to go with Lindgren: I NEEEEEEEEEED IT
Reason not to go with Lindgren: Lindgren won't be back until 2018 due to Tommy John surgery

Reason to go with Cotton: Was a really good prospect for LAD
Reasons not to go with Cotton: No longer a Dodger, not autographed

So yeah two more points for PTT's pack.

PTT: 7
Singles: 5

So with two extra points the PTT pack pulls out into the lead and wins this pack war. Impressive. I set it up against very intimidating opponents.

Thanks a ton for the awesome cards P-Town Tom. Thanks to this package I am now only ONE autograph away from completing the 2014 Bowman Chrome Prospects Autograph Yankees team set. And that particular autograph is Michael O'Neill (yo Papoy, where you at? I need your O'Neill bro! lol ;)).


I'm getting close and excited.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. "*Reason not to go with Mick: No Luis Torrens or Jack Chesbro" ... that one got me top laugh out loud! Give it time... Torrens will be placed up there with Mick in about 20 years, which will be about the time he goes into the HOF with 500+ HRs and 3000+ hits.

    I found all of those autos in discount boxes of card shops in IL and IN this summer. Not much love for Padawan autos in these parts. Glad I hit on a couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the cards PTT. You saved me big time with the Wade and Lindgren. Now I owe you big time as well :(.

      Delete
  2. *Reason to go with Reggie: It's Reggie
    *Reason not to go with Reggie: It's Reggie

    That started my day off with a hearty laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was able to make someone laugh not ironically for once lol.

      Delete
  3. You are getting close! Great package (as always) from PTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm so close I can taste it! lol.

      Delete
  4. I've got the Michael O'Neill auto if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I definitely need it, but wasn't the O'Neill claimed by someone else in another trade?

      Delete
    2. Nope, free and clear. I'll get a mailing out to you soon.

      Delete
    3. Oh okay, thanks Gav. I'll try and get something out to you soon too.

      Delete