Tuesday, August 23, 2016

My First #ToppsNow Card

Throughout the year I've largely ignored #ToppsNow. It's focused on the current events of the latest going-ons in the big leagues. That doesn't suit my collection at all.

But there have been cards that caught my attention and eventually I succumbed to buying one card that fits into my collection.

What could it have been? Could it be the card commemorating A-Rod's last game? Gary Sanchez's home runs? Aaron Judge's home run? Tyler Austin's home run?

NOPE.


Of course I went for the card that commemorated Ichiro's 3000th MLB hit. I just had to. It's one of the coolest moments of the season and quite frankly the kind of moment Topps now was made for. This is a real historical moment in time, not some no-name like Wainwright throwing 7 innings of one run ball.


The back looks like this. A picture of Ichiro's teammates all coming out to greet and congratulate Ichiro (with Dee Gordon at the forefront) as well as the Rockies scoreboard that commemorated Ichiro's achievement. I found it cool that the picture even used a picture of Ichiro as a Yankee and as some other team he used to play on.

In retrospect I probably should've bought more than one copy. Lord knows that I could flip these for quite the pretty penny in Japan if I wanted to. And maybe I should've, but that's not who I am as a collector so for now I'm just satisfied with the lone copy I had.

I didn't really know what to expect with Topps Now but now that I have one in my hand, I think it's pretty cool. The surface is very glossy and feels almost Chrome-ish. I can't see myself buying anymore ToppsNow cards this year, but for now I like this Ichiro.

Of course the fact that a card I ordered earlier in the month took this long to get to me is something that irks me (Ichiro's since hit 8 more hits) but whatever. I still like this card itself.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

9 comments:

  1. Nice pickup. I have two on the way - Sanchez first HR and Judge/Austin dual. I've largely been ignoring them too, but wanted to pick these two up.

    I don't really understand why cards are selling for like $6-7 on eBay before they even arrive. Kind of weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The $7 cards on eBay are from people who order in bulk from Topps. If you order a ton Topps gives a pretty significant discount. I order all mine from eBay.

      Delete
    2. I order on ebay as well. Take a bit longer, but saving the price of a pack is never a bad thing. With ebay, I've found that the $6-7 sellers increase their prices after the Topps Now window (which makes sense, they have to get their initial numbers to make the order, then raise prices accordingly for the late buyers).

      Delete
    3. I do the same. Cardbusters has them for 7 bucks each

      Delete
    4. Thanks all for the tip on Topps Now cards.

      Delete
  2. Ichiro's 3000th was the closest I came to buying a Topps Now card, but I still ultimately couldn't justify the price tag. Maybe if they're still floating around on Ebay in a month or two for slightly less, I'll pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They could. I remember reading that Topps made over 10,000 copies of the card. It could go down in price soon.

      Delete
  3. Not card Kenny. I've been buying the Topps now Redsox this year. I won't do it next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, I can only imagine how much the BoSox cards must've been costing you this year.

      Delete