Friday, August 19, 2016

Redemption Replacement

I don't really like redemptions too much. I just don't like the concept of buying a box and having my guaranteed autograph not physically be inside the box.

Nonetheless back in early 2013 I opened a box of 2012 Bowman Sterling Asian (Japanese) Edition. Back then I was able to pull a redemption card of a Tsuyoshi Wada Japanese Player Auto.

I was intrigued and decided to redeem it.

However three years have gone by with no signs of Wada fulfilling this redemption. The fact that he went back to Japan certainly didn't help.


So I got it replaced.

What did Topps send back?


Woof, now this is a pleasant surprise.

This is a 2015 Topps Tier One autograph of Reggie Jackson. It is numbered 03/30 and is honestly better than anything I could've expected to come back for a Tsuyoshi Wada autograph.


Topps also sent along this relic card of Vladimir Guerrero as a bonus card (basically a sorry we took a while gift). Which is really cool.

So to recap, I was able to turn an autograph of a former Cubs pitcher into an autograph of a Hall of Famer and a relic card of a Hall of Famer. I think that's a fair trade-off.

So yeah, thanks to Topps for replacing my redemption.

As always thank you (the readers) for stopping by :).

19 comments:

  1. Wow. Best replacement I've ever seen! I have two Hensleys outstanding and know I'll never get them, but I'm afraid at what the replacement would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TLC.

      It appears as though Topps is upping their Redemption Replacement game. If you're going to get a replacement, now might be as good a time as ever.

      Delete
  2. Great pair of cards! Congrats.

    I've been waiting a couple months for my 1/1 Griffey redemption. I can understand he's been busy lately with all the HOF hoopla, but hopefully things settle down for him and he signs his Archives autos soon. I'd be afraid to get a replacement for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gav.

      Oof, it's always a tough call for cards that mean something to your PC or are really valuable/rare. I'd wait a while on the Griffeys though, he's been a slow signer in the past.

      Delete
  3. As a Cubs fan, I'd definitely take that replacement any day of the week. Wow. You see so many stories about redemption being replaced with lackluster substitutes; it's nice to see the reverse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I didn't see that one coming. Count me in the Cubs fan camp who would NOT be disappointed in that exchange.

      Delete
    2. @Tony: I was legitimately surprised with my results. Don't think I could've asked for anything better.

      @PTT: Haha, glad to know I have the Cubs fandom's approval.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! I haven't had much luck on replacements. I have two Panini McCutchen autos that I've been waiting almost 3 years for. I'm sure the replacements would be nice, but it is Cutch....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another tough call. I'm not sure about Panini redemption system TBH. I've heard good things about it in the past but I've also heard less than savory things in recent times.

      Delete
  5. Amazing. That is a great looking card of Reggie! Probably the best replacement I have seen, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's worth the wait! Good for Topps to take the sting out a bit.

    Not really sure what redemptions are like these days. I haven't pulled one since Topps Black Gold in 1994.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I can't say that I "liked" the redemption process. But the payoff was rather grand.

      Delete
  7. Topps came through in the bottom of the ninth. Kudos to them... and congratulations to you.

    ReplyDelete