Thursday, August 25, 2016

Taking Inventory Part 1: Ongoing Projects

So in an earlier post I alluded to some team sets I'm working on. So I thought I'd look at what I need regarding some of the projects I've been working on on the side. Usually I don't blog about these until I finish these myself or if the project in question is something that requires a bit of help (i.e. friends looking out for cards on my behalf).

These projects are mostly lower level ones, ones that I could handle on my own but go at it very slowly.

Luis Torrens Rainbow

After completing two and nearly close to finishing a third, I'm always looking to beef up my Luis Torrens collection.


The rainbow I'm closest to finishing is the plate-less rainbow of 2014 Leaf Metal Draft. For that one I just need the base/SP autograph.

2015 New York Yankees Draftees Project

Here's a lowkey project I've been working on that might prove to be the most difficult. Acquiring an autograph of everybody the Yankees drafted and signed in the 2015 player draft. Whether it's via IP, TTM or even as a certified autograph, I'm going for all of them.


Right now I only need Donny Sands, Terrance Robertson, Paddy O'Brien, Icezack Flemming and Dustin Cook. I'm that close to acquiring an autograph of everybody the Yankees drafted in a given year. How many other Yankees collectors can claim to have been able to do that?!

New York Yankees 2015 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Team Set

So I completed the team sets for the 2012 and 2014 certified Bowman Chrome prospect autographs. At the moment I'm on a long term project to build every team set but right now some are more notable. I'm only three autographs away from completing the 2015 edition of the Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Yankees team set.

Yes I included Domingo German

That's all fine and dandy until you realize the last three autographs I need are Luis Severino, Robert Refsnyder and Jorge Mateo. Severino's autographs are a bit overpriced at the moment because investors want to hold out until the struggling Sevy regains his composure. Refsnyder's autograph is reasonable by comparison but I wouldn't pay over $5 for it (including shipping). Mateo's price is through the roof. Which is what you expect when you're dealing with a (former) number one prospect in the Yankees org. I'm waiting until prices die down on these three as well.

New York Yankees 2013 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Team Set

Here's the set that's sandwiched between 2012 and 2014, so I have to complete it soon right?

Not Pictured: My New Ian Clarkin autograph

At the moment I'm only one autograph away from completing the 2013 team set.

That's all fine and dandy until you realize the last autograph I need is Aaron Judge's autograph. That'll go for well north of $100 these days. I'm not paying that much for a prospect that's not Luis Torrens. And I hope no one else will either. One bad slump or injury (or both) will derail the value quickly. That is the time to strike for this one.

New York Yankees 2010 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Team Set

So to my great surprise, I'm only two autographs away from completing the 2010 edition of the Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographs Yankees team set.

I'll be honest, I thought I had a lot more to go first.


I got a large number of the key guys. Sanchez, Murphy, Heathcott and Culver in particular. All I need are Bryan Mitchell and Graham Stoneburner. Two guys who's autographs cost less than $10 shipped combined. Hmm... Also I'm omitting Dan Camarena who had a Bowman Chrome USA auto in 2010.

New York Yankees 2002 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Team Set

So I'm only one autograph away from completing the 2002 edition of the Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographs Yankees team set.


There were only TWO Bowman Chrome autographs for the Yankees released in 2002. I already got the expensive one in Brandon Weeden. The other is Adam Roller who's autograph can be had for less than $2. The problem? The shipping fees don't make it worth it. Consider it a gray whale for me.

New York Yankees 2004 Bowman Chrome Prospect Autographs Team Set

So I'm only two autographs away from completing the 2004 edition of the Bowman Chrome Prospects Autographs Yankees team set.


The last two I need from this year are Phil Hughes and Estee Harris. Harris is a bust whose autographs are cards that dealers couldn't give away if they wanted to. Hughes' 2004 BoChro autographs are a bit expensive. Certainly more expensive than you'd expect for a player with the type of career he's had. It's the Yankees effect.

1979 Topps Set

Ever since I made the declaration to build the 1979 Topps set, I feel like some have misunderstood what I meant. Obviously I want to get as many of the cards signed, but if I can't I can't. I just want to build the set first and get to the autographs later.


I guess it also doesn't help that my checklist is out of date. Oof, I need to update it real bad.

And that's it as far as set related card projects are concerned. This isn't a plea for help, it's more like me finally putting down exactly what I've been trying to do into writing. Something I never do because I'm loosey goosey as a collector (keeps me free :)!).

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

4 comments:

  1. Love your projects. I'll check to see if I can help you out in any of the areas. The 2015 Draft project is really cool. I'm sure you'll finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TLC :).

      Fingers crossed about the 2015 project.

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty loosey goosey myself. Trying to put some finishing touches on some sets I started a couple years back. Once I'm done with those the only current project is collecting as many WV Black Bear cards as humanly possible!

    I love the 79 Topps project. You've done quite well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Good luck with the Black Bears. Luckily they've only been in existence for two years so it shouldn't be too difficult.

      Delete