Monday, September 5, 2016

A Mint 9 (Apparently)

I'm not really opposed to grading cards.

Grading isn't really my thing but I can appreciate it as an outsider. I mean if nothing else, I can sympathize with people who want to keep their best cards in tip top shape.

My scanner hates these graded things

Recently I got this bad boy in my collection.

It's my first BGS graded card of Luis Torrens. I had thoughts about going after a perfect 10 grade Bowman Chrome autograph of his but those are going for way too much so I decided to get this blue wave autograph for basically what the raw ungraded ones are going for as well.

I like this card. It's nice and shiny, and the card seller was nice enough to put it into a long team bag-thing around the case.

According to the grades at the top the biggest thing against this card were the corners. Heck if I know what's wrong with them, but I guess the folks at Beckett must know something.

Numbered 04/50

Of course this brings up the question of whether or not I'm going to break open this bad boy and free Torrens.

In the past I asked all of you what I should do with my graded Jack Chesbro T206. Most people said to leave it because the card's fragile and stuff.


This time the card is still fragile (it's a modern glossy card, of course it's fragile), but new. Ultimately my verdict is to keep it the way it is. Torrens' BoChro autographs aren't exactly my highest priority and I'm happy to have what I can get. If one day I luck into an ungraded raw one in the future for a nice price I can keep that one in my PC and make this one either a part of an overwhelming Zippy Zapping for a Yankees collector, or something to give to Torrens if I ever see him again.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful card and sweet sig. I think the blue waves are my favorite of the Bowman parallels.
    I'd leave it slabbed, especially since it has company in the Chesbro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm going to leave this slabbed. Definitely.

      And yeah these blue waves are quite a sight aren't they.

      Delete
  2. Awesome card! I'm not a huge fan of graded cards, but there's definitely a place for them in our hobby and my collection. I've been specifically targeting them when buying 1956 Topps hall of famers. Obviously, I'd love to be able to hold them, but buying graded copies are sort of a safety net for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah definitely. I pulled the trigger on my Chesbro T206 because it was graded. When it comes to vintage HoFer cards you want graded stuff to add an extra layer of security in knowing it's legit.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete