Friday, September 9, 2016

Another Gray Whale

Ever since I first published my post about gray whales, I've found that an alternative definition for them could be "cards you want, but are usually available for $3 shipping even though the card itself is significantly less than that."


To make an example of myself I bought this Mark Melancon autograph from 2008 Bowman Chrome.

It seems so long ago but Mark Melancon was once a Yankees farmhand. And he even made his MLB debut with the club even though he was eventually shipped out. Melancon found his stride with Pittsburgh because they're wizards at making pitchers serviceable and was an All Star closer for them before he was traded to the Nationals. Melancon is due to be a free agent this winter and because every team in existence has a bad bullpen he'll be in hot demand. It certainly doesn't hurt that he doesn't have a compensation pick hanging over his neck like Kenley Jansen will. The Yankees may be more likely to see a reunion with Aroldis Chapman (opinions on that another time) but a reunion with Melancon would be just as good IMO. Never a bad thing to have lots of bullpen depth.

This autograph was one I won for 99 cents. Shipping cost $3. Because of course it did. This is a gray whale. But it's mine now regardless and makes me one step closer to completing the 2008 Bowman Chrome Yankees Prospect Autograph team set.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

11 comments:

  1. Glad you picked this one up. Curses at $3 shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all know the feeling, but when you've been looking for a card for a while it can be worth it. Glad you own it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well for this one I just put in the minimum bid and decided to see what happens. Thanks :).

      Delete
  3. I have so much in my watch list that are $3 shipping. And more then half of them are cards that would show up in dime boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. This is why things like combined shipping is God's gift to collectors.

      Delete
  4. Single cards should come with mandatory "free shipping" A collector can dream right? Especially a "lost" one. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only did that because I know AJ will be reading this.

      Delete
    2. Lol that's be great. Although if the single was worth a lot of money I'd happily pay for shipping so the seller didn't just send it in a PWE lol.

      Delete
  5. I have a few cheap cards I need for sets... but refuse to pick them up b/c of their $3 shipping. Kudos for stepping up and grabbing this card in spite of the shipping fee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. These are the things watch lists were made for.

      Delete