Monday, September 19, 2016

Inbound Cards From The Motherland

I arranged another trade with another Japanese collector. This was my first trade with a Twitter user I've been following for a while named Rizara.

Rizara's a Mets fan so I sent them some Cyclones team sets, a Cyclones program and some Mets cards. In turn they sent back a lot of cool stuff.


Here's an insanely cool relic of Tony Lazzeri numbered 91/99. Tony Lazzeri was one of the members of the Murderer's Row lineup back in the 20's and 30's with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. The son of Italian immigrants (it's the early 20th century folks!). Lazzeri was a pretty competent hitter but obviously playing with Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig will reduce you to footnote status in the grand scheme of history. I understand that Lazzeri is cited by many to be one of the more lackluster players in the HoF and a case for many to say that "player-x deserves to be in the HoF because Lazzeri is in it and he was far worse than player-x." Is Lazzeri one of the worst HoFers? Hell if I care. He's a Yankee and he's an Italian, that's good.


Even better than a bat relic of a member of the Murderer's Row is this Gary Sanchez relic from Topps Museum Collection numbered 02/50. When we first negotiated this trade Sanchez was still in the minors and this trade would've been reasonable. By the time we finally sent each other out our cards, Sanchez's value went up and I now feel bad.


A purple Prizm of Justus Sheffield.
This was kind of a last minute throw-in on the part of Rizara-san but I still like it (ironically this came on the same day that Drew's package did meaning I got two Sheffields at once). Sheffield made it to double-A this year and (assuming he's not traded or gets injured) will stand to be in triple-A sometime next year and possibly the big leagues as early as next September (more likely September in 2018).


Oh heck yes. I saw that Rizara had pulled this card and I knew that I needed to acquire it. Why? Because P-Town Tom blogged about it. Also, director of smiles. Director of smiles. This card is headed to Tom BTW.


This Diamond Kings card of Howard is numbered 42 of 99. I find it very cool. Elston Howard is a very underrated Yankees legend and I don't think people truly understand how important he is to the Yankees. Then again I wasn't really there so it's hard for me to put his significance into perspective but screw it, he's great and he deserves to be treated as such.


There were some more DK's inside but these two were my favorites. I like Howard (as previously established) and I also like Roger Maris as a player. Those dingers.


There were some modern prospects too obviously. This turn two insert features both Jorge Mateo and Aaron Judge.


I think I'll end this post with this. This is a base Leaf Trinity Pure Glass auto of Luis Torrens. Man, these are so slick in person.

Of course this is a dupe and actually the third of this kind to come into my possession but I don't care. If I have a shot at a Torrens card I get at it.

And that was my latest international trade. These international trades from the land of my ancestors are always a ton of fun and this was no exception.

リザラさん今回ありがとうございました!

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I think I'll be the director of smiles for the rest of the week after learning you're sending me that Fragments of the Farm card. Thanks, ZZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! That Torrens is really cool. I've always liked the Pure Glass cards.

    Nice Sanchez patch too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the glass auto and the patch are really nice.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and that Lazzeri is awesome too! You said it well...he certainly was overshadowed. His numbers with NY look fine...but who the heck knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean if there are players who were better than Lazzeri who missed out on the HoF then I say let them in.

      Delete
  4. Love the E. Howard. One of my PC guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see. That's good to know Mark :)... *starts having ideas*

      Delete
  5. Great batch of cards, and so sweet is that swatch on Sanchez. Kenny I need your address, email me please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. And sorry John, I've been forgetting to do so forever now haven't I lol.

      Delete