Saturday, December 17, 2016

Who Would Have Thought?

To me there is no card of 2016. Nothing I really deemed worthy of making me go "wow!" came out this year.

But there is one card I recently received that would definitely be at the very top of cards that were made this year.


BEHOLD!

Yes my friends, this is a custom creation by DefGav from Baseball Card Breakdown. An original piece commissioned by P-Town Tom over at Waiting 'til Next Year Eamus Catuli! I might add.

Yes, two of my closest buds on this blogosphere teamed up to surprise me with my very first card of Luis Torrens as a Padre. I think it's great. This is the first manip I've seen of Torrens in a Padres hat and I'm very impressed. It looks real (although my standards are probably low thanks to the incredibly bad photoshop jobs on Bowman products).

One minor tidbit that came to my mind however is "what if this also had a manip of Torrens as a Red?" since Torrens was technically in that organization for like five seconds. Hmm...


Regardless, I'm very happy with this as is. Just look at the back. A very real snapshot into this moment of time leading into Spring Training. Torrens went from the Yankees to Reds to Padres, and he's vying to make it to the big leagues as Austin Hedges' backup. Gavin nailed it.

Since the Torrens trade I've taken a few glances at the Padres organization and how they project to be in 2016.


In a word, they are bad. They have 2.5 starters and a mix of okay/promising guys along with downright bad ones.

Is it all doom and gloom though? No, their farm system is at least decent. The Padres have managed to do a great job of robbing the Red Sox of some of their key prospects, and other shrewd trades have given them a pretty middle of the pack farm system.

However, in doing some research of the Padres farm system, I'm reminded of how they supposedly had a stacked top farm system back in the early 2010's. Around 2011 the team was supposed to have future MLB contributors in the form of guys like Casey Kelly, Rymer Liriano, Jedd Gyorko, Robbie Erlin, Yasmani Grandal, and others. A lot of those top prospects have either been failures or mediocre and most aren't even with the team anymore. And much is the same for the prospects they have had since.

That all sounds bad, because it kind of is bad. The Padres, for all of the talent they manage to accumulate, never really seem to break the barrier and take the next step from being mediocre to respectable. I'm hoping that changes. The NL West being a two man show between the Dodgers and Giants is always boring. The Padres are aggressive in terms of international free agents since they spent BIG last year on international free agents (almost 2014 Yankees-ish). Time will tell if they pan out. Time will also tell if the draft picks they get actually stay with the team and pan out.

Right so, thanks for the card DefGav and P-Town Tom. It was a great addition to my collection and I appreciate both of you for it. Also apologies to DefGav for kinda shitting on the Padres.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

12 comments:

  1. That card is great.

    I might have gotten something similar for Hensley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that the Padres farm system is decent. Always count on you for my scouting report info.

    P.S. Fantastic custom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji. I'll try and do some more Padres-related stuff (if I feel like it) but it's kinda bleak.

      Delete
  3. I really like the gold foil on that one. Pretty slick!

    I think the Padres have some potential with players like Margot, Hedges, Renfroe and Friedrich, but they'll need a couple of years to grow into their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Padres have potential, only problem is that the world has been saying they've got potential for decades now.

      Delete
  4. Padres wouldn't be Padres if they weren't bad. May they always be Padres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right. Curse the two party system in the junior varsity division!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, guys. Ha, not really gold foil, just looks like it. The source was a scan of a Dave Winfield card.. just swapped the logos. It's a bit rougher than most of my customs, but I was rushing to get it done in time to go out in the mail with all my other Holiday Blast mailings.

    And yeah, I'm definitely used to the Padres sucking, so don't worry about it. Hey, they've had 3 or 4 bright spots.. they gave it a good run in 1984, 1996, and 1998. Hopefully the current group of prospects help bring it together in a year or three. But yeah, cool to see you take an interest in San Diego's system, and hope it continues and you convert to a fan eventually! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the Torrens custom DefGav! It looks just perfect to me lol.

      And converting to a fan? Hmm...

      Delete
  6. It is almost sickening to look at the guys they gave up to "compete" the last couple of years. The farm system is at least getting better, but so many of the interesting guys, other than Torrens... :) are in the low rungs of the minors. The pitching staff this year is going to be realllllllllyyyyy bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciated them making moves when Preller went nuts. I also appreciate that it's failed spectacularly for them.

      Delete