Friday, February 10, 2017

$5 On Cards

The other day I made my way to Chameleon Cards & Comics in Downtown NYC. It's a nice little shop that serves the basic needs of what a shop should do.

I was curious to see if they had any 2017 Topps cards in their dime boxes (they didn't) but I walked away with much more instead.


The shop has started selling custom repacks. Like the 1975 Topps repacks above.

Unfortunately for Night Owl Cards' heart, I didn't buy those repacks. But I did buy some other repacks for a buck each. As a guy who didn't spend a penny on any packs of Bowman Draft, these other repacks were a great way for me to accumulate some Bowman Draft cards. I also plucked out $3 worth of stuff out of the dime boxes. So let's see what the $5 total got me.


Oh heck yeah. I needed this Nolan Martinez from 2016 Bowman Draft. Glad I got it for less than a dime.


Former Chunichi Dragons slugger Matt Stairs on a great picture from Fleer Ultra.


The heck? Indiannapolis Native Americans? These were randomly in the repack and come from a time when this affiliate was in the Milwaukee Brewers org.


More MiLB team issues! This time of the Reading Fightin Phils.


Oh now here we go. Some Multi-Ad Sports cards from the 2000 Staten Island Yankees team set.


And this cool checklist card from the 2004 team set. This was obviously taken on the ferry terminal five minutes away from the stadium.


The SIY mascots. Scooter (far right) is still around, the other middle one pops up from time to time. The far left one has disappeared completely.


Dafuq? More MiLB team issued Baby Bombers? I'll take it! Aaron Rifken spent years toiling in the minors as a Yankees, Mariners and Rockies prospect. Sam Bozanich played for Yankees and Pirates affiliates and last played in indy ball in 2004.


Craig Brazell! Brazell played for the Mets and Royals during his time in the states but I really remember him the most as one of the gaijin sluggers for the Hanshin Tigers. He and Matt Murton were quite the combo. Brazell played for various teams in various leagues before retiring in 2015. It was definitely cool to get a MiLB card of the future-Tigers slugger.


Always cool to pull a Hall of Famer in these cheap repacks.


Two pitchers who'd go on to have notable tenures with the Yankees (for different reasons).


Old school V-Mart! Back when he could still catch!





These are all Bowman prospects I'd recommend those of you who like these four teams keep an eye on. Krilloff has gotten a lot of prospect love from people in my circle, I know people are really high on Jefferies too, I actually got to meet Logan Ice last year as a member of a loaded Mahoning Valley Scrappers team, and finally Cal Quantrill (son of former Yankee Paul Quantrill) is very good and a sign that we're all old.


One of the repacks contained these 2016 Topps cello packs. Each came with expired coupons for Topps products (curse you!).



Out of these I plucked out these Yankees. I finally know what Kirby Yates looks like. Very cool to see mainstream rookie cards made of farmhands like Barbato, Gamel (now with Seattle), Green and Mullee (now with Chicago NL).

And that was my first visit to a card shop in 2017. Got some nice stuff for TTM fodder (and Zappings). You've all been warned.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

20 comments:

  1. The 2004 Team Checklist is pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's a very nice picture. I wonder why the team doesn't take group pics anymore at the terminal.

      Delete
  2. Logan Ice is a 5 WAR baseball name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never ventured down to the shop, but should sometimes. I guess it's a bit out of the way from me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more of a comic book shop, but it gets the job done.

      Delete
  4. I really, really, really want to avoid spending my monthly card budget on cheap base cards (even vintage), but if my LCS had those 75T repacks for $3... I probably would have bought a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, 20 for $3 is a great deal (like 15 cents each I think?).

      Delete
  5. Bowman Draft over '75 Topps? Killin' me. Just killing me, man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That checklist is great. So's the Matt Stairs. I gotta find me a Greg Legg card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want the Gregg Legg in the scan it's yours.

      Delete
    2. That's really nice of you. I actually went to COMC and and found one.

      Delete
    3. Okay, if you don't need it then I understand. If you still want it I can send it along with other things that you may be able to use for your collection. We're long overdue for a trade ;).

      Delete
  7. Logan Ice. Now THAT is a baseball name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd have to grab some 75s if I saw those, but getting minor league singles would trump the 75s. Not Bowman, mind you. The minor league cards. But you know that already.

    I hope some of those are set aside for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do ;).

      And sure, the Indiannapolis cards are all spoken for, but the rest are yours.

      Delete
  9. I'll have to remember to check out that shop if I'm ever near the area.

    ReplyDelete