Monday, February 13, 2017

Housekeeping

Well I did it folks, I actually put up a page for what I collect and what I'm after. You can find it here. The link is on the right sidebar BTW, the third page under "My Collections."

Unrelated Scan

Technically that page has been on my blog since day one but it quickly became obsolete around mid-2014. On that page is the definitive list of all of the players I collect cards of, the teams I collect cards of, and the list of the foreigners who played baseball for the Chunichi Dragons. I mainly created it so that I could easily look at the list at future card shows and future visits to card shops.

One glaring omission is my 1979 Topps project. At the moment the project is on hiatus. Keeping track of any and all progress involving entire sets that have hundreds of cards is tough. The whole grueling process has forced me to realize just how easy being a player collector is. I tip my hat to those of you who've ever completed these 600+ card sets before. The closest I came to such a feat was the Sega Card Gen set, and that only had half of the total cards the 1979 Topps set has.

Related Scan

I also set up an official page dedicated to my Takuya Kinoshita collection (second page from the top in the "My Collections" column). That's right folks, it truly is Torrens 2.0. Right now it is very empty and I'm regretting not picking up more cards in Japan when I had the chance, but hopefully I can create a Kinoshita collection that rivals that of my Torrens collection. It probably won't because I was willing to go to extreme lengths for the Torrenterion Collection, but we shall see what happens.

Unrelated Scan Again (Because It's Cool!)

Right so with this out of the way, I think I can officially say that my goal of creating a definitive list of players I'm collecting is done. Thank goodness. Now to neglect the pages for months because I'm lazy.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sending me a copy of the Gondoh. Easily the best manager card in the history of manager cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manager card to end all manager cards.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on setting goals. Good luck in pursuing them :-)

    I've got to admit that I don't collect sets anymore, either, but I find that to be much less intimidating than collecting a particular player.

    Given enough time and money, there's no reason I couldn't complete a 1952 Topps set. Printing plates and other 1 of 1 cards mean nobody has any chance of completing a player collection in the 21st century...which kind of keeps me from wanting to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. I've managed to accomplish one (the organizing one).

      I know what you mean when it comes to player collecting. It's nuts and I've given up on ever having a 100% complete Torrens collection, but I'll do my best :).

      Delete
  3. That Gondoh card is perfect for memes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I mainly created it so that I could easily look at the list at future card shows and future visits to card shops." This is the main reason I have want lists on my blog... it makes so life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I can't believe it's taken me three years to realize the want list's full potential.

      Delete
  5. I agree with P-town Tom. My want lists were originally for my own use. Once you have actual collecting goals, the want lists come naturally. And like yours, mine (on the blog) are about two to three years out of date.

    And to piggyback off of Paul Hadsall, set building makes for a very specific goal and obvious completion point that doesn't change. Some sets may be pretty much impossible, if you wanted to collect a Superfractor set or some other super-limited set. I guess with enough effort and budget, you could put together a set limited to five copies, like a red refractor parallel. I have three "super player collections" but I've realized that I'm not going to have all four plates for each player for each release (I'm happy if I have just one) and there are many, many 1/1s that aren't in my collection. In fact, for two of those super collections, I'm missing some relatively common cards. I've realized it takes some structuring to be happy as a player collector: for one I get all of his base and non-hit inserts, for the rest just one card per year, plus a few choice hits for a challenge and interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organization is key I suppose.

      And I agree about the perils of super collecting, that said, I'm gonna give my Torrens super collection a real run.

      Delete