Saturday, May 27, 2017

Taking A Page Out Of Dime Box Nick's Book

The other day I went to Chameleon Cards & Comics in NYC again. It's a nice little shop if you're feeling like dropping a lot of Benjamin Franklins on box breaks. Most of the time I just go there for supplies and for an hour or so of fun looking through their dime boxes.

You don't have to be Nick The Dime Box King, to appreciate how cool these boxes can be. There's a ton of fun to be had. You can also really understand why Nick has as many mini collections as he does.


Starting us off is one of my favorites from the lot. A Shigetoshi Hasegawa card where he looks like he's having the time of his life with that old Canon (E05 1d?) camera. I really wonder what he's looking at through the lens.


The back is just as fantastic as it features another one of Nick's mini collections, a player autographing something. That's always fun to see.


Here's a fun action shot featuring Maddux covering first in a weird pose. And possibly with a throwback uni (I wouldn't know because I don't know the Cubs' uniforms).


This is Upper Deck so of course the back is great too. This time we have Mad Dog sliding on the base paths.


Get you a man who can juggle baseballs in a suit.



Man, Upper Deck really did deliver with the photographs didn't they. No wonder Nick has a collection devoted to these rare pictures that feature equipment.


Getting a card of a HoFer is good. Getting a miscut card of a HoFer is great.


Mahlon Duckett, never played for any major league baseball team but he was a mainstay in the Negro Leagues in the 40's. Playing for the Newark Eagles and Homestead Grays. He even won rookie of the year honors in 1940. When this card came out, Duckett was working as the Secretary and Treasurer of the Negro League Baseball Players Association, at the age of 87. He unfortunately passed away in 2015, but we have this awesome A&G card to keep his legacy alive.


I'm very sure that this is a throw back. A pretty popular mini collection Nick and various others have had for years now.


This Bellhorn is a rare type of action shot where the runner avoids the tag. How often have you seen that on cardboard? Without sliding at that. It's an under-appreciated type of action shot in my view.


Same goes for the photograph on the back. These "I got it!" shots where the fielder is about to catch the popup is a shot I'd like to see more too. Even if you're Luis Castillo.


There's nothing really too special about this Crow except that the former Central League MVP (he was really good with the Giants during his career) is notable for his performance, and for his brawl with the Dragons' Masami Miyashita.


I remember watching a TV special where they had Cromartie and Miyashita reunite and both apologized for the incident.



Now we're heading a little into my turf, minor league baseball. Featuring future Baltimore Orioles longtime second baseman, Brian Roberts, as well as beleaguered big leaguer Andres Torres. Both are retired now and people who grew up watching baseball in the 2000's should feel old now.



Oh wait nevermind, we're out of my turf again.
I picked these out to make lame jokes about current big leaguers with the same names being traded. Sidenote, McCullers up there is the currently active Lance McCullers' dad.


Of course for 10 cents a pop, you don't pass up opportunities to acquire stuff for your trade partners either. This when Bay was Bae (I'm sorry, I'm trying to delete that, help!).


You thought you were going to get a full post from me without any current prospects? Ha! He's already a top tier prospect in the Jays system and will be a fun one to watch in the upcoming years. Also, this is a very deliberate pick since Vlad Jr. is the son of Vlad Sr. who Nick collects. Will he collect Jr. too?


Finishing off the haul will be my two cards from the 50 cent bin. This is supermodel Nina Agdal. I'm surprised she's not in a swimsuit considering how first pitches in Japan are sometimes thrown by models in swimsuits. I'm even more surprised since this was taken in California.


Here's a fun insert of Keston Hirua, who is draft eligible this year. He projects to go in the later half of the first round at the earliest and is seen as one of the better bats in the draft. He doesn't have a position at the moment due to injuries, but some see him as a potential middle infielder or centerfielder.


And rounding out this post will be the supplies I got, two magnet holders.

That was my little foray into dime boxes. It's always a ton of fun and I can really see why Nick has dedicated his hobby life to it.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

4 comments:

  1. Awesome stuff from the dime box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dime boxes rule! Those early '90s UD sets probably provided the most mini-collection hits, per capita. Seems like every other card in those checklists hits some kind of theme for me.

    (And if I ever find a Vlad Jr. in the dime boxes, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send you Vlad Jr cards? Alrighty then!

      Delete