Tuesday, January 14, 2014

5 Collecting Goals For 2014

Because I launched this blog on the first day of 2014 and was busy for the first week or so trying to get this blog running I wasn't able to share with you all my collecting goals for 2014. I usually set myself for the easiest/simplest goals possible, and this year is not really any exception.


5. Continue to trade with people

I love trading with other collectors and helping them with their collections.. Although my end of the trade(s) might not be as big as they've been in the past because of my next goal.

4. Stop buying so much wax

This might be the hardest task of all.
In 2013 I busted a total of 8 hobby boxes, 10 blasters, 10 rack packs and ∞ loose single packs. After adding up the receipts and feeling like I had just suffered a heart attack I've decided that one of my goals is to cut down on the amount of wax I buy. For now I'm planning to just stick to a retail rack pack (at most) when I get the itch and just ignore products I don't care for altogether (looking at you Topps Archives with your flimsy cardboard stock and boring checklist).
I'll make one exception though, Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects. I always love this product and will probably pick up a hobby box when it comes out.

3. 62 TTMs

In 2013 I had a whopping 133 TTM returns. And while I might/will not be able to match that this year, I'm hoping to at least reach half of that this year. So my goal is to reach 62 TTMs. And as of this post I've already received 3 TTM returns so only 59 more to go :)!
And yes I realize that 133 divided by 2 is not 62 but I have no idea how I'm supposed to get 61.5 returns so I'm going with 62 instead.

2. Pick up a new "Oldest Card In My Collection"

Right now the oldest card in my Yankees collection is a 1948 Bowman card of Billy (The Bull) Johnson and I'm thinking of acquiring something even older. I've got a specific card/set in mind and am waiting for the right deal and hopefully it comes within the next 11 months. And as long as I stick to my cutting down on wax goal I might be able to accomplish this goal without it crippling me financially.

1. 39 IP Autos

In 2013 I accumulated a total of 78 IP autos and much like my TTM goal I'm going to try and get at least half as many.
I was originally going to have my number 1 goal be "Have Fun" but I saw a ton of other bloggers have it and I didn't want to get sued for plagiarism. Plus goals 5, 3 and 1 are already what my definition of "fun" is. Trading with other people, getting autographs through the mail and getting autographs in person. I think at this point the importance of my collection has become more about human interactions rather than just getting cards I need. And now that I've actually written that down, I think I need to get out more...

Anyway there you have it, my 5 collecting goals.
As always thanks for reading and take care :).

6 comments:

  1. Great goals! Hope I can help you accomplish some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :), and you just might. As I've got a stack of Yanks with your name on it for our next trade...

      Delete
  2. Great goals! Best of luck to you in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really good goals! Aim big with TTM and IP autos, especially if you go to a lot of minor league games this year. Minor league autos are much easier to get than MLB autos, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I was thinking about aiming high, but out of laziness I decided to take the easy route instead lol.

      Delete