Monday, July 31, 2017

Back To Sleep

A while back Night Owl Cards and I had a conversation on Twitter where he tweeted me this.


This is basically Night Owl's way of explaining the insane hype what happens whenever a rookie comes up and has a great start to his MLB career. We've seen this phenomenon the last few years with flavor of the years like Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Stephen Strasburg, Kris Bryant, Carlos Correa, Gary Sanchez and Aaron Judge. This is essentially the only reason that Topps Chrome is releveant (those rookie card autos!).

This is the kind of insight I expect from the wise owl. He's been in the hobby longer than I have (even if you limit it to after his return), he's seen the rise of short prints, the shift from a single company releasing cards on a national level to a single company releasing licensed cards on an international level, everything.

In the schedule he tweeted, I'm usually in the 5-6 AM group, possibly even earlier :P. If you ever need a tip of who to really keep an eye out for in the lower levels of Yankees' minor league organization, well, I can at least direct to you to someone who can confirm if the guy I'm thinking of is the right one.

Then when the 6 AM - 8 PM group begins to start waking up and clocking into the office, that's usually when I clock out. I collect minor leaguers hustling their way to the top, not major leaguers.

Of course I do have exceptions.


Like my main PC-guy Luis Torrens.

Torrens has been a big leaguer for nearly four months now. I still collect him.

For good or for bad, he hasn't exploded out of the gate ala Aaron Judge. And he's in San Diego so no one cares about his future potential like people do with Andrew Benintendi. Those two factors keep his value very low.

So even if Torrens is a rookie right now and he's a candidate to either get rookie cards in Update, or sophomore cards in Series 1 (or neither as some of you have pointed out to me), no one is awake for him. Only me.

Well okay, maybe me and the rest of you who keep an eye out for him because you know I'm awake for him lol. You're all the best, BTW.

The fact that people never even woke up for Torrens helps me greatly when acquiring rare limited cards the like the one above.


This is from 2013 Bowman Chrome, meaning that my path to completing the master non-auto rainbow begins.

This printing plate was mine for less than a retail rack pack :P.


Will people wake up and be alert when Torrens has his first official card as a big leaguer? We'll see. Make cards of Torrens already Topps! To be honest though, I kind of see Torrens already skipping right past the 6-8 group and already being in the 9 PM group. No complaints from me if it keeps costs down. I wouldn't want the number of 1/1 Torrenses I have to stay at 12 now would I?

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. I like collecting guys no one cares about. Lot less pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. That's why you're a Tom Murphy collector yes?

      Delete
  2. I was hoping Vogelbacg would go right into the after 8pm group... you know, with him being a Mariner now AND being exiled to AAA. But, I actually have at least two others competing for his cards with me on Ebay.
    Nice get on the printing plate, especially for that price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some hardcore collectors must still be in on him from his early Cubs days.

      Delete
  3. I get a certain enjoyment of buying the darkhorse guys because now many of them get time with the Black Bears. So far the best player to go through there has been Kevin Newman and his cards are still relatively cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the time in the shades....i was having a roll with collecting Rizzo at great prices u til two years ago and now the fun of collecting him is mostly gone given the prices today :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, sounds rough. I'm not too worried if Torrens stays in San Diego though. No one cares about the Padres.

      Delete
  5. I'm sitting at around 7:30pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the dinner time shift like? I'm already asleep and getting ready to wake up 3 around then.

      Delete