Now when I say Twitter, you could really replace it with any of the big social media sites. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Discord, LinkedIn, Mixi, Myspace, VK, it's all the same. In the end they're all sites that save and sell your personal info and use big data to try to manipulate you. But we use them anyway because you might as well be cast off on an island if you don't have a social media presence in this day and age.
Before we start, let me just say that these are based on my experiences with both being a blogger and a Tweeter. They'll probably differ from yours depending on how different your usage of your blog and Twitter accounts are from the way I use mine.
Unrelated Scan 1
So I think we should start with things that blogging and Twitter have in common, as well as what they don't have in common and see where things go from there.
The first thing they have in common is that both offer you a platform (of sorts) to say whatever is on your mind. Want to blog/tweet about baseball card backs of certain obscure cards? Sure, go ahead. Want to blog/tweet about things that have absolutely nothing to do with baseball or sports? Sounds great.
That said this brings up the first major difference between the two. Exactly how much you can say. I don't mean that as in you need to censor what you want to say (although you should really think through what you put out there on the internet, it's your inescapable permanent record). I mean it in terms of literal limits placed on Twitter not allowing you to use more than 280 characters.
With Blogger or WordPress or whatever the fuck people want to use, anyone could write entire novels about any topic they want. With Twitter you have to keep it to 280 characters. Of course you could create long Twitter threads but if it exceeds more than three chain tweets, the average Twitter user will tune out and think you're a moron for not just starting a blog.
This is why I think Twitter is better suited for hot takes and mundane thoughts that don't have enough meat on them to sustain their own blogpost. I mean I'm sure a lot of us with both blogs and Twitter accounts have had random thoughts pop up in our heads related to baseball cards, but we know that they could never carry an entire blogpost so we just put them up on Twitter. Granted maybe some of those thoughts get incorporated later into bigger blogposts, but the point remains that Twitter is better suited for being a wall where you fling shit against it and see what sticks. Whatever sticks may end up being able to beef up another blogpost.
![]() |
| Unrelated Scan 2 |
Another thing that blogging and Twitter have in common is that you can be a part of some really nice small communities.
We all have our own little collecting hub here on our corner of the blogosphere. Chances are we all have something similar on Twitter. The internet connects us to so many people now that it's very scary and overwhelming, but it can be fun if everyone plays their proper part. I think the blogging community here is as close as it's going to get to a good online community comprised of strangers with only one hobby being what connects them. It's not perfect but compared to the online card communities I've seen on message boards, yeah this is as good as it gets lol.
With Twitter, chances are the community will be a bit bigger. After all it's one of the biggest social media sites ever and not every collector out there has a card blog. That has it's benefits as you have more people to talk to and engage in conversation with (maybe trade/buy/sell some stuff you all need). But it also has its drawbacks because you're going to be dealing with a lot more people who only have a Twitter profile as a frame of reference. Can you really trust that person? Not just with your cards but with your address and personal info in general? This is where you have to use your brain, put on your adult pants and make adult decisions about who to interact with and who to stay far far away from.
Although once that's done you usually find yourself in part of a little clique. Whether it's with fellow collectors or just people who happen to share your interests. For reference, the people I interact with on Twitter the most are people who don't collect baseball cards at all. When I do interact with fellow traders it's usually about things that aren't cards at all (just ask Stealing Home). Card related matters usually either just end up being private Twitter DMs or just tweets telling people that their packages arrived so they don't have to worry.
Or at least that's just me. I don't use Twitter as a hub for my collecting life (that's what this blog is for). I use Twitter to keep up with #LuisTorrens news, Yankees news, news in general (I'm not proud of that but Facebook's algorithms keep screwing up my timeline) and various other things that interest me. Hence why my own Twitter feed is littered with garbage Yankees takes and Dark Magician Girl gifs more often than anything card related.
![]() |
| Unrelated Scan 3 |
I'm sure you folks can come up with even more similarities and differences between blogging and engaging in social media. For me it all just comes down to how much you can get out there with every push of a Publish/Tweet button, and the type of company you'll find yourself in.
Got any of your own stories about blogging and tweeting? Why not write a post or tweet about it?
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).



I'd like to find a copy of Unrelated Scan 1 for my own.
ReplyDeleteI have a Twitter account but do not have a Twitter presence - I also have a blog and ideally I'd like to use Twitter as a means to drive my blog readership up when I feel like there are only a certain number of card blogs getting most of the attention.
On the other hand, it's hard for me to take Twitter seriously and the only Tweets I pay attention to are the ones with cards blogs already or relevant ones with blue check marks next to their account - there are too many trolls / bots that take the fun out of the Twitter experience.
It can be tough trying to divert attention from Twitter to your blog. Since everybody is usually too lazy to click a link.
DeleteI'm not on Twitter (or anything else - it's pretty here on the island), but I've always joked that Twitter was blogging for short attention spans.
ReplyDeleteI mean, you're not wrong lol.
DeleteI've mentioned several times on my blog how I would follow just about every cardboard related person out there. Now I spend most of my time weeding out all the "sick hit" sellers and people that want $15 for a relic card. Totally underestimated the amount of people that sell cards on Twitter.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite thing about Twitter is baseball news. If you follow the national baseball writers you can stay up to the minute.
Good grief, I hate those accounts that spam your feed with retweets of shitty cards for sale at way too much.
DeleteThe most aggravating part of Twitter is how free-form it is. That's a good thing, too, but I really only care about baseball topics when I'm online, and Twitter instead shoves all kinds of random stuff in your face, most of which I go out of my way to avoid in regular life.
ReplyDeleteThe willy nilly nature of Twitter is a double edged sword for sure, but I personally like having a bunch of topics bombard my feed lol.
DeleteTwitter for me, is almost like texting other bloggers. It can be a quick conversation, or to acknowledge receiving a card/package without having to immediately do a blog post.
ReplyDeleteI know there are a lot of people on Twitter who are collectors but don't have blogs, but it's too hard for me to keep up with all of those people.
Both of those statements are true.
DeleteIn general, I prefer twitter over blogs because of the interaction. Yes, there are plenty on twitter I have muted, but that's just something that goes along with social media. The two are intertwined for me, since I share most of the card-related blog posts that I know of and see on twitter.
ReplyDeleteTo each their own my friend :).
DeleteI generally don't like Twitter. You can't have a real conversation due to the format they have chosen. But it's where all the athletes and sports leagues actually post, so I maintain my account on there. I've recently decided to post more often on there, but I'm not sure how long that will last before it annoys me and I go back to checking once a month or so.
ReplyDeleteFor me it's a lot easier to have a conversation there than here, the only problem is that the conversations can get out of control.
DeleteTwitter versus blogging to me is immediacy versus some sort of planning. With Twitter, I follow politics (probably much to the detriment of people who follow me) and baseball news along with card news stuff. I retweet liberally, jump in uninvited to conversations, and otherwise make a nuisance of myself -- which means it's close to my real life. On my blog, I stick to Brewers stuff and baseball cards and music. Both have their place.
ReplyDeleteI've taken to using Twitter to thank people immediately for getting cards, i.e., making sure they know I got something they sent, and then to my blog to give a longer and more complete view.
Finally, do you happen to have an extra Lucas Erceg Bowman Draft from last year? I seem to have lost the one I got from you...
I don't like to admit it but I do get my real world news on Twitter too (at least on a macro level). Mainly because a lot of reporters are already on it and using it to break the latest going-ons.
DeleteAnd I've replied to your question on Twitter because it's faster ;).
A. What's up with hot Japanese woman and carrying around oversized baby bottles? This is the 2nd post today that I've seen it.
ReplyDeleteB. I didn't mean to sound judgy with Comment A. If you want to post more cards holding big baby bottles, I'll be here to support your blog.
C. I'm a blogger at heart. I think I'm too old (or insert any other adjective that best describes me) to truly understand Twitter. I have it. I use to to promote my blog posts, but honestly have no idea if it actually works... and honestly don't really care.
I'm curious to know where else you saw a Japanese woman with a big baby bottle lol.
DeleteI can respect that. Social media (and the pace at which it operates) is not for everyone.
It was on my post about the 2018 BBM True Heart wrestling cards.
DeleteI use Twitter mostly if I want to goof off for a few minutes or keep up with celebrity/sports stuff. Same with Instagram. My blog is more of a personal journal about stuff that's important to me.
ReplyDeleteSame. Although I'm not sure if the stuff I talk about on this blog would be really "important" to me if I had to create a list lol.
DeleteSomeone (don't remember who) a while back remarked that my blogging presence shrunk as my twitter presence rose. Turns out that was accurate. Methinks this is gonna turn into a post, so I'll leave it there. Now, back to twitter!!
ReplyDeleteHa. Well to be fair I think I've talked with you on Twitter more in like the last month or so than we did before Twitter lol.
Delete