Friday, June 15, 2018

Woah Woah Woah, Slow Down

It's the 15th of June. That means that tonight is when the Staten Island Yankees 2018 season begins.

I'll be honest, it sort've crept up on me. By the time I knew that it was coming it was draft night.


That said I did do some due diligence. I have plucked out a few cards of players who are rumored and confirmed to report to SI this year. Looking forward to seeing some new faces and some old faces.



I also picked up some cards of the Yankees' recent draftee's in the super unlikely event they come to Staten Island for a brief cameo.

Still, between the season starting tonight and the recent news about new Torrens cards hitting the market, I feel like everything is happening at once. Which is part of the ebb and low of life I suppose.


Anyway, really looking forward to this season, should be a lot of great talent in SI (especially the pitching side of things). Can't wait.


Also just a quick note, the Staten Island Yankees have slowly transitioned into the Staten Island Pizza Rats. This is only a Saturday only promo this year, but with more and more minor league teams opting to use team names that are different from their parent team's name it wouldn't surprise me if the team switches to the Pizza Rats full time next year. Ugh.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of minor league teams that don't match their parent club in name, although sometimes it isn't so bad. Part of the uniqueness of MiLB to me is names like Mud Cats, Lumberkings, or Silver Hawks (to name a few of my favorite past and present). But some of these food ones and whatnot are taking it just a little too far...Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp or New Orleans Baby Cakes, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part I'm in the same boat when it comes to unique names. A lot of the times they're based on things that are notable to the specific area the teams are located in, so it can be a learning experience about the local culture. Although regarding the ones that are "out there" I wonder if there is some significance or if it's just some "Boaty McBoatface" kinda deal since I don't know if shrimp is meaningful to Jacksonville or if "baby cake" is meaningful to New Orleans.
      Sidenote, Pizza Rats are not nearly as meaningful to Staten Island as the Wu Tang "Killer Bee's" are.

      Delete