But every now and then I wonder about what would happen if that enjoyment ever disappears. What would happen then? Why would that enjoyment ever disappear in the first place?
I'm not really talking in terms of "what if I leave collecting?", but more along the lines of "hmmm, this card isn't nearly as special to me as it was in the past, what should I do with this card then?".
Real talk, I don't have a good 80% of the really nice cards I used to have back in 2013, because I've moved a lot of them and the shift towards what means a lot to me now has been drastic. A Posada autograph numbered to 10, a Pettitte autograph, a Cano/Melky dual autograph, various other items that were pretty scarce and unique, all gone. At one point I really wanted to have them. If I didn't I wouldn't have dished out assets (cash or cards) to get them. But at some point later on I basically decided "meh, I can live without them". And given how I haven't missed them in the time since, that appears to have been the case.
So if that happened to my nicer cards, can it happen to one of my key collections?
Of course when I say that, that could only mean that I'm wondering if I'll ever stop collecting Torrens. Or if you want to read even further into it, if it means I'd dismantle my collection and get rid of all of it.
I'd like to think that I'm at the point of no return now. The point where I go all in no matter what.
In theory that's not a bad stance to have. More cards? The optimist in me thinks that that just equals more fun. Bring it on!
But the cynic in me knows that that's a double edged sword.
Essentially I'm locked into a non-verbal agreement where I feel obligated to go after every single card that's set to be released in the future. It's fun to think about when you've got things under control, but as I've learned in the past 12 months, it can all get really overwhelming really quickly. Especially if you're unfortunate enough to have to deal with dumb parallels or dumb gimmicks like those 5x7's or 10x14's.
So to make an ass/example of myself I recently picked up several of these very parallels. I've gone on record in the past stating that if you want to assemble a halfway decent rainbow/collection, you need to start with the obscure/rare stuff first. In recent times obscure has become synonymous with crummy gimmick.
See what I mean? I present to you all two Torrens cards that have only one real discernible feature, a foil stamp! These are the Limited and All Star parallels respectively. Remember those big boxes of complete flagship sets that we always see and ignore at Target? Well some of them have these dumb foils on the front, making them parallels. I had a hunch something like this would happen (thanks a lot Acuña!) and it came true. To make matters worse, the Limited version is an online exclusive.
This is the type of shit that makes people give up on player collecting. It's what pushes me to the brink of quitting. Do I really want to spend money on this stuff? Well in the end I did, making me a total moron and leaving me feeling like a moron too.
Since I was picking stuff up I decided to go after some other cheap Series 2 Torrens parallels too. Most of which cost less than the $3.50 shipping fees. I forgot to mention it in my rainbow building post but, nothing will make your heart sink more than seeing that the serial numbered cards (that have print runs higher than 25) you want have $3.50 shipping fees attached to them. True story, just ask P-Town Tom, he knows the struggle/pain/torment.
Thank goodness the pink there at the bottom had free shipping.
But I know that this is the type of stuff that separates and elevates my Torrens collection from other Torrens collections (if there are any :P). This is the kind of dumb blind loyalty that got me through two rainbow builds.
I was going to put in a non sequitur here about how weird obscure cards show up in the weirdest places later, but then I got word that Torrens had a Topps Chrome Sapphire card. Topps Chrome Sapphire is Topps Chrome's online exclusive version. The only real difference is that there's a special cracked ice blue tint to the card and maybe there are a few parallels (too many parallels in my book). I hate that these exist. It means I have to chase them, not just this year, but also next year when they resurface as "Buyback VIP 1/1" variations. BLARG.
So when all his said and done, what am I supposed to do with this stuff if I ever do feel like the value these cards once had to me dissipates?
I don't know, I'll get back to you after I find the series 2 purple parallel that was sold exclusively at Meijer, the Topps Chrome Sapphire superfractor, the Topps Chrome Sapphire red refractor, a ton of other parallels, and my will to live.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.





The Stars and Stripes parallel (not sure of the official name) looks great on that Torrens!
ReplyDeleteApparently it's an "Independence Day" parallel. It's numbered to 76 copies too.
DeleteThere are a lot of changes in the way I collect since I returned to the hobby in 2008. Heck... I've made some huge changes in the past few years. However I collect... I truly hope the hobby remains fun (whatever that means to me at that particular time). If it doesn't... I'm up the creek without a paddles, since most of my stress relief and relaxation is directly correlated to sports cards.
ReplyDeleteThere is definitely an inherent escapism to this hobby. As there is with most hobbies.
DeleteI think (or at least like to think) the thing that has made card collecting more sustainable for me is sheer patience. Back when I was on the forums, I fell into the trap of having to have all the cards I needed from the newest sets RIGHT NOW. Never mind that they'd be readily available for loose change at card shows. And I chased as many of the parallels as I could get my hands on. (I shudder at how much I spent on shipping during the years of all those forum trades.)
ReplyDeleteI still need a lot of the cards being produced these days -- just as many as during my forum days, if not more -- but I'm more content to sit back and letting them come to me as they may. I can get impatient sometimes waiting for the next card show (and the dime boxes at said show), but I like to think my impulses are a little better. (I'd go broke if I collected based on impulses.)
That sounds eerily similar to my experiences on the forums as well lol. Lots of impulsive transactions that wouldn't be much in the long run.
DeleteOn the bright side, at least you have a somewhat loyal readership/trading network that knows you collecting everything.
When the checklist to Update was released and saw Vogelbach didn't make the cut, even though he was in the Mariners' retail team set, I let out a huge sigh of relief. I enjoy the chase, I really, really do. But when the card shows and blogger trades dry up, then those shipping fees are going to kill you. You're absolutely right.
ReplyDeleteI could see myself selling off my collection someday down the road, but I would probably keep a heavy stack of my favorite cards. I mean, if I wanted to revisit this part of my life a couple decades down the road it would be nice to have some tangible to hold. So for the sake of future nostalgia I would hold on to some... you know... if I ever lose interest in the hobby.
On a somewhat related note: I could never part with my Vogelbach collection, unless I could give it to the Vogelmonster himself. I like to think I have the most complete out there and I believe it would be nice to pass it on to him at some point.
That's interesting, he might be one of the first in recent history to have a card in the team set but none in the flagship sets.
DeleteI agree wholeheartedly with giving the collection to the player, or perhaps their family. I'd probably do that with a good chunk of my Torrens collection (minus a few pieces) if I ever felt like parting with it.
I always enjoy seeing your Torrens posts.
ReplyDeleteI do not see myself ever getting rid of any of my Red Sox collection, or the various player collections within. Now, it is entirely possible that I may stop a mini-player collection, particularly if the player went to another team, but I would never get rid of the collection I already accumulated. That happened with Felix Doubront who I kind of focused on for a couple of years, but I still enjoy picking up the occasional rare parallel of him for my Red Sox collection.
Considering how you're the ultimate team collector that stance makes sense. Only problem with me is that my player collections don't always fit the theme of my "grander" collection, because there is no grander collection. My whole schtick is that I focus in on microcosms that don't have a thing to do with other things I'm into. Which leads me into the rabbit hole of, going at it 100%, or not going into it all.
Delete