Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Three Years

When I wrote a post about rainbow building last year, I preached patience. I also mentioned how some cards can disappear into the ether and then show up unexpectedly one day.


That is definitely the case for the card above, Luis Torrens' base auto from 2014 Leaf Metal Draft. For the longest time people were puzzled as to why I was struggling to find the base auto. Well there's a reason for that, this isn't just the base auto, it's also an SP auto. Yes, it's a shortprint. There are fewer quantities of this than even one of the other numbered parallels (I think they only made like 35 copies of this card).

I had a chance to nab a two card lot back in 2016. I put in the first (and for a while only) bid, and also made sure to raise it up to $20. Some sniper outbid me at $21, a mere 15 seconds before the auction ended. I remember that so vividly because that proved to be the last time this card appeared in the open. Until early June where it finally resurfaced.


So now, the base rainbow is finally complete! YES!
Complete with the Holiday Bonus and Retro Proof buybacks numbered to /2 and /3 copies to boot!


This also puts me at only one more card (the black printing plate) away from completing the 12-card master rainbow. Yes indeed, the coveted, vaunted, rarely achieved master rainbow with all of the base/SP/plate components.

It's so close! It'll probably take me another few years to finish it off!


So all in all, this was a very big step forward. I completed my fourth Torrens base rainbow and my fifth rainbow in general. And I'm one step away from the vaunted, master rainbow.

Wish me luck.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

10 comments:

  1. Congrats! I hope you find a cheap black printing plate soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Johnny, just know that I got the cards in today. Thanks a bunch.

      Delete
  2. Good deal. Can't say I like the look of any Leaf cards, but that's still impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaf's cards aren't the prettiest, but I can easily say that Torrens' leaf cards are at least decent because he's in full catching gear and the lack of logos is handled as naturally as you'd want. Meanwhile the other non-catcher offerings are... lacking.

      Delete
  3. The regular auto was an SP? That's evil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yurp, that's why it's not just the low numbered stuff that's exclusive. EVERYTHING is exclusive.

      Delete
  4. One card short of a master rainbow? That's f'n awesome! Best of luck in tracking down that final printing plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive! That Quantrill is nice too. Hopefully the black plate pops up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, but after nearly four years of nothing, I'm not holding out hope.

      Delete