One of the best things about music is that you can transform it into something new entirely. You have remixes that take a certain song and modify it. You have sampling where you take bits or pieces of a song and use it to create something new entirely. The possibilities are fairly limited but could make for some interesting results.
Today's post will focus more on music I've come to enjoy that did not emerge from more traditional or even contemporary means. Which is to say that today's songs are entirely songs I discovered on the internet and will never be on iTunes or Spotify due to the nebulous copyright issues involved with such a thing. These were purely made for dumb idiots like me on the internet, by other dumb idiots who are more talented than me.
That last bit means that entities like OK Go, Epic Rap Battles of History and Lonely Island will not be featured here. They'll get their time eventually.
Steamed Hams Inc.
This is a masterpiece by YouTuber NPCarlson that combines two internet memes. The steamed hams bit from The Simpsons, and Feel Good Inc. by the Gorillaz. A great song that's been turned into a meme thanks to the internet absolutely loving Gorillaz.
The way this song managed to keep the flow and "plot" of the original steamed hams bit is incredible. This is what I think of when I think of dumb but very creative internet music.
Pop Danthology 2010-2015
Pop Danthology was a series of mashups that featured pretty much all of the biggest and notable pop songs that was brought to the world every year by YouTuber/motivational speaker/DJ, Daniel Kim. Unfortunately he got really fed up with YouTube's copyright system and stopped making them in 2015, which is a shame because these are all wonderful. As the years go by these also serve as mini time capsules. Because these encompass my junior and senior years of high school as well parts of my early college years. I'm sure that 40 year old me (should I live that long) will listen to these and weep.
Daft Mouth
YouTube visionary Neil Cicierega is the MASTER of these jokey mashup ideas that end up turning into fantastic bangers. This particular "album" was a big collection of songs remixed with Smash Mouth a capellas but it works so well. This song in particular is a highlight for me, mainly because I absolutely love Daft Punk.
Discord (Remix)
This is a remix of a song made by Eurobeat Brony. As that implies this is a song made by and for the My Little Pony fandom. I am not a "brony" or that into MLP (Star vs the Forces of Evil >>>), but that doesn't matter because this song is still pretty great. I do like this more than the original for sure, it's so poppy and energetic. Usually songs made by fandoms tend to be rather unsettling, but the Bronys of all people managed to make it work.
Also, despite the name I'm pretty sure this song named Discord is older than the popular website named Discord by a lot.
80s Remix: Closer
Apparently 80's style remixes of current pop songs were a big deal back in 2016 to 2018. This is a 80's style remix of The Chainsmokers' Closer (Feat. Halsey). It's pretty great. If you slipped into a scene from Stranger Things I wouldn't bat an eye. We have the YouTuber TRONICBOX to thank for this (and a bunch of other pretty great remixes), but unfortunately they've been inactive for a while. Sucks.
80s Remix: Believer
This is a remix by Twelve Tone Systems (BandCamp) and it's so much better than the original Imagine Dragons song that it's insane.
Regular Show: Gary vs David
This isn't an internet original perse. It's a track that was forged during a "battle" between two synth players in the Cartoon Network cartoon Regular Show. But it works as an instrumental track and I really really enjoy it. Unfortunately this isn't available on iTunes officially so these Fruityloops/GarageBand recreations will have to do. No disrespect there BTW, this one in particular is well done. Well done Ruisu River.
September Congratulations
This is a remix/mashup of Earth, Wind & Fire's September along with Post Malone's Congratulations. I have a theory that modern SoundCloud rappers would be better served having beats with some kind of groove or funk or some semblance of fun, and this kinda proves it. This was made by RNG who has made other mashups that are available on their BandCamp. They're all pretty hit or miss but I do like the Redbone (Childish Gambino) x Firefries (Owl City) mashup.
Red Fireflies
Yeah, this one. Might as well share it, it's nice.
DJ Pyro - Pyro Megamix 4
YouTuber DJ Pyro used to make some of the best remixes using a capellas from various rap songs and instrumentals usually made by Kajmir Royale. This particular one was one of the first I'd ever heard and it goes hard as fuck.
And I think I'll end it there. 10 tracks, all exclusive to the internet.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

A few years ago, I was addicted to listening to mashups on YT. I finally quit cold turkey... but I gave in and listened to that Earth Wind & Fire/Post Malone mashup. Gotta say, I'm tempted to go and start searching up more mashups... but there just aren't enough hours in the day. I've gotta resist temptation.
ReplyDeleteAny reason you felt you needed to quit? Seems a bit drastic to me without context lol.
DeleteIt's like video games. It take up a lot of my free time.
Delete