No, this isn't one of my typical "I'm shutting down the blog" jokes.
See roughly five years ago I created the T206 Club. It was a dumb little in-joke between our corner of the blogosphere that in retrospect kind of represents how lively the community was at the time. We were all just having a fun time sending eachother 100+ year old cards willy nilly, or at least I was.
Then the T206 supply ran dry because the commons stopped being priced at somewhat reasonable prices and started to go up. When you're like me and you were used to prices being around $10 shipped that wasn't going to fly. Plus after a certain while, my enthusiasm for the thing just kinda dropped.
Fast forward to today and the enthusiasm for collecting as a whole seems to have fallen since 2015 too around these parts. After the influx of card bloggers that hit the scene between 2013-2015 obviously 2016 (and onward) were going to feel like lulls, but man was that descent pretty drastic.
Makes sense though, we all got older. We all got five years older (FIVE YEARS!) to be more precise. Life has a way of shifting priorities and interests. Some of the "club members" aren't even active anymore.
Even my own attitudes towards collecting have changed. I still blog and I don't really mind it, but the stuff I'm blogging about is pretty different.
So I think that on the fifth anniversary of the T206 Club's launch it's time to shut it down. As if it hasn't been lying dormant since 2016 anyway. Though I do admit that I do like going back to the posts from back then and seeing just how much of a kick people got out of this stupid thing. Funny how a card from a set so old and somewhat iconic that's not even the main card everyone knows it for can do that to collectors. Then again I don't think people really ever think of "expecting" a 100+ year old card in the mail sandwiched between random base cards from 2013.
And just because, here's a little scan of my T206 collection as it stands now. Somewhat frozen in time from 2014 with more subtractions (2) than additions (0) these past few years. Though I think the time to move on from some of these might be near. We'll see. I feel like an ass knowing that I said these were nailed down at one point.
Plus, maybe they all deserve better than being trapped in my collection. Although I'm likely keeping the Happy Jack Chesbro and Jack Quinn a lot longer since Chesbro is one of my boys(TM) and the Quinn is the only T206-T205 combo (shoutout to P-Town Tom for THAT hookup) I've got in my collection.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).




Well said. Still really happy to be part of the club and will always treasure the card. I didn't realize that the well was running a bit dry with the beat up commons.
ReplyDeleteThese went to "cool to have but I'm not buying it at those prices" territory real quick.
DeleteOne of the most epic clubs I've ever been a member of... thanks for including me and I'm glad I could reciprocate with the Quinn. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for including me into the T205 club.
DeleteI'll always be indebted to you for that epic T206 Hal Chase you sent me!
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure it was like your fourth or fifth lol.
Delete