Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Mission Accomplished

 Heading into 2023 one of my goals was to get an autograph for myself that was intended for me. Which basically means I wanted an autograph that was authentic but not certified.


Enter what might end up being the only TTM request I will send out for the year with this autograph by Julian Love who was a guest signer at a local-ish card show that I sent in this mail-in autograph order to. Whether that counts as a TTM is up to interpretation but I consider it no different to a TTM request with a donation attached.

I'll speak about Love the player in a TTM wrap-up post to be published another time as he's currently navigating free agency and that part of the story is still being written.

I'm not sure why but getting an autograph of an active player in a major sport usually tends to feel a little more special to me than getting any of the retired players that you usually see signing at shows and events. There's just a certain weight added to how the player is still in their prime and they're taking time away from doing everything they can to make the most out of the moment (and more importantly secure their future) to sign for you. Idk, feel free to disagree and think getting autographs of legends is just as special (I can't say I'd disagree with that either) but that's the way I look at it sometimes.

That same thinking is why I decided to actually go for this despite not being more than a casual Giants fan and Love may not even be a Giant come autumn.


Plus if nothing else the card looks great. Prizm when it's done poorly is a dark metallic mess but when it wants to brighten things up with a splash of color and some shiny it succeeds.

In any event this more or less accomplishes my goal of getting autograph intended for me. A sports one at that.


Just to fortify this goal a little more I also got a non-sports autograph via this 8x10 print signed by voice actress Kira Buckland.
Buckland has done a lot of work lending her voices on various shows, films and games imported from Japan. One of which is NieR:Automata, where Buckland voices one of the main characters (and probably the most famous character), 2B.

If you've been wondering what I'd been up to instead of sports, it was getting really into the video game about existentialism told through the POV of its main character with a big butt and cute face.

So there we go, three months in and I've already secured two personalized autographs for money as opposed to sending TTM's willy nilly in all directions like I did in years past. Oof, I really am getting old.

Big thanks to Love and Buckland for the autographs though.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care :).

2 comments: