Monday, January 8, 2024

The First Team

 When I first blogged about the 2012 Sega Card Gen set it was as someone who had just finished the base set. One of the things that I never really got to go into was the process of building that set. How I made a ton of trips to my local arcades in Yokohama and not-so-local card shops in Shinjuku and Shibuya to build that 408 card behemoth.

At this point a lot of the details are hazy but I do remember one thing. The first team I assembled was the New York Yankees. At the time I was still a Yankees fan, and naturally I wanted to finish that team first. It wasn't too hard because that team was full of big names who were easy enough to find at shops, the only issue was that they were expensive.

Anyway fast forward to 2023 and the first team set I completed from the rare foil subset was also the New York Yankees.

You see during my trip to Japan I picked only two MLB cards but boy did those two cards count.



CC and Tex there helped me finish the seven card rare foil Yankees team set.
Along with them the set featured Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson and Mariano Rivera. A real who's who of great players at the time.

I suppose if I expanded it to prize cards there's also the Hiroki Kuroda foil rare but that's neigh impossible to find or get, and it's not even in this 60-card rare foil checklist anyway.


So there we go, a decade in the making. Technically some other teams who only had one foil player were already done before the Yankees (like the New York Mets who only had David Wright or the Toronto Blue Jays who only had Jose Bautista) but I'm going to go with this because there were multiple foils. A actual challenge.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care.

6 comments:

  1. Always love seeing Sega Gen cards on your blog. Not the most flattering CC shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember how I first sent you CC's base card and you blogged about how massive his gut looked lol.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you got over your Yankees phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not super sure going to the Rockies was an improvement, but I do feel much more at peace.

      Delete
  3. Love this set. I have two 9-pocket pages filled in my Japanese trading card binder and they're right in front so I can enjoy them every time I open that sucker up. Still blown away that you completed this set.

    ReplyDelete