One thing about me that I can't quite fix is how I always feel the need to keep different parts of my life separate. My personal life, my professional life, my hobby life, my online presences that vary depending on which social media site I'm using, etc...
Anybody who still follows me on Twitter (if you do... why?) can probably tell but I've strayed far from my days of using it for sports and I've never used it too much for cards to begin with.
Once upon a time I did talk about cards there but it was more in the context of "hey, look at this autograph I got" with the occasional "look at my newest pick-up!" tweet post. While I'm aware that being more involved with hobby Twitter has its benefits, it's still not for me.
This seems fine in theory, but in execution it's total ass. At least for me.
See the problem with me is that my interests are cyclical. What that usually tends to mean is that when I begin to get bored with something, I'm likely to abandon it altogether. I might come back to it later, but for a while there's just total radio silence and nothing. Even more than that, I'm going to create a distance between me and anyone who keeps sending me reminders of whatever I just got bored of. Even if I know full well that they don't mean to.
The way my "Following" list has constantly shifted around these past few years is a reflection of how whenever I get fully bored, I'm just going to unfollow and lowkey cut people off outright.
Dick move I know.
Whatever other benefits the hobby on social media has probably wasn't something I was interested or ever even used anyway.
Mostly that's just because I'm older, slower and lazier.
As someone who was very active on Blowoutcards' forum back in 2012/early 2013, I am somewhat familiar with how negotiating with strangers for cards online goes. When the hobby was new to me and I had limited funds I was constantly wheeling and dealing because this was the best way to see what the hobby had to offer and also the most I could do within my means.
A decade later a lot of the hobby is played out to me, leading to a lot of my indifference towards it. Even in the event where if I find something I want, I just go straight to eBay and buy it outright. Spending money kinda stings but whatever, spending time and energy is a lot more draining.
There's also the fact that I've found this blog to be the best possible place for me to talk about the hobby. I control everything here after all, I set the topics I want to talk on here. I have a blogroll with what I consider to be my favorite blogs where I can easily choose which posts I want to read and pass on whatever I don't want to. It's a lot harder on social media where any little thing can potentially be amped up to 11 and shoved in your face to the point where you want to throw your phone out the window just to feel like you got rid of it. Or slightly worse is when news are slow and the latest going-ons are so boring that you feel there's no point to the community.
So yeah, I can't really say I regret swapping out people who talk about whatever the sports did wrong this time with attractive cosplayers at a time when Twitter's algorithm just keeps getting shittier and there's more of it.
All of this is also sort of what went through my head as I turned down njwv's invite for a Discord server for the hobby. I'm really sorry to Nick and whoever else is running what I'm sure is a nice community but on top of the stuff I mentioned above, I've been using Discord far too long for other interests for me to use it for sports and sports cards now.
I actually did join a pretty level headed and reasonable baseball community on Discord last summer as an experiment and I left after a month. There wasn't anything really wrong with the members there, no trolling, no real issues, I just plainly didn't want to stick around. I can't verbalize it, I just do not vibe with these communities. I'm keeping it to strictly video games, porn and anime on Discord. Also if you're wondering why I didn't ask Nick for an invite with his server to be the trial run, it's because it's a lot less awkward to just suddenly leave a server you didn't ask for an invite to in the first place.
And honestly, now that I think about how I just left the Blowoutcards forum for dead after I started this blog, it just kinda reinforces how I don't really like gatherings like that. Not online.
Actually not irl either. The crowds I'd see at card shows seemed like the only normal people were families.
In an age where it's a lot easier to feel lonelier than ever before, it's probably not wise for me to just be like this. Making barriers, dismantling bridges in silence, total abandonment for prolonged periods of time.
But I've been operating on a "just go where the wind blows" mindset for years now. I just usually try to keep things professional and on good enough terms to where connections can be picked up right up where we left off, but I'm not naive enough to think human relations aren't needlessly complex and that things will work out every time. It takes two to tango as they say.
Also I hope you enjoyed the unrelated scans of Colorado Rockies autographs. I didn't have anything to say about these so I stuffed them into this giant rambling session.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.






No need to apologize and no hard feelings about the discord. I've been online long enough to know that everyone has to deal with their mental health their own way. As someone who is absolute shit at keeping things compartmentalized I admire your ability to silo your interests.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're still blogging. I think you're absolutely correct about blogs being the most-healthy outlet now. Of all the social media outlets out there blogs seem most resistant to audience capture and there's something very freeing about being able to write whatever you want without having to worry about becoming the main character of the day.
Oh. My (extremely long) post about your big box went up today. Thanks again and zero need to apologize for any trouble (I hope you got the two "to Kenny" cards back).
DeleteThanks Nick, I did manage to get both of the cards to me back. Appreciate it.
DeleteTBH I'm not sure if blogs are the healthiest outlet per-se but I think they work the best given the rest of the field. They also have plenty of room to fit in the nuance necessary that Twitter and whatever other social media outlets literally can't.
I blog and do Instagram, that's all that I can handle.
ReplyDeleteSeeing card images with no related context is kind of refreshing.
I have an instagram but that last thing I'd want to see on there is cards ngl.
DeleteBlogging > all other social media. It doesn't have the same potential for interaction but as you say, there's a lot more freedom in this format.
ReplyDeleteI'd say that for me I'm not in it for the interactions (although they help and I do feel good whenever people leave comments or when I see readership is consistent) but just having an outlet to get these words swirling around in my brain out.
DeleteHey now, I thought since Luis Torrens is now back in the Yankees farm system your blog would pick up right where it left off when the Padres cruelly sabotaged his development with their Rule 5 heist.
ReplyDeleteThis is great timing on your part because I actually have a whole post dedicated to that in the works.
DeleteYou're not alone in your wanderings. I've been through many of the same phases in my hobby journey.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back RAZ.
DeleteI've dabbled in other social card-related areas, but blogging is the only one that's stuck. I agree with you - I just can't seem to get fully immersed in other communities. It still blows my mind that I was once making 4-5 trades a day on the forums when I was a teenager. Now I get a little woozy if I put cards away for 20 minutes.
ReplyDeleteIt's a young man's game Nick lol.
DeleteTotally get it. I also don't mix hobby with real life, at all. Glad you're still doing the blogging. I shut mine off two years ago and haven't missed it for a second.
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of the opposite of you where I kept blogging and stopped using Twitter for the hobby. Haven't missed that part of Twitter so I know how you feel lol.
DeleteI totally compartmentalize my life... especially when it comes to hobby stuff (even though everyone close to me in my private life knows I love collecting stuff). As for social media... I barely have time to write blog posts, so Twitter and FB aren't a priority. But reading and commenting on blog posts allows me to stay social among collectors.
ReplyDeleteThe way I use social media is too disconnected from what I want out of this hobby for me really consider that something would add to my enjoyment in this hobby.
Delete