Monday, May 26, 2025

Munchin' and Crunchin'

 So one thing that I'm glad I was able to reunite with over here are food issued collectibles.

I'm not actively trying to collect sports cards anymore but I will take any that fall into my lap. These food issues are often perfect because they're freebies that come with snacks.

As I grow older I've found that these plain chips feel just right over the more exaggerated flavors. Also I've always loved kaki no tane (mini rice crisps) since my dad had a whole stock he'd share with me when I was a kid.

I do understand that there's a long history behind Calbees and that there are collectors who are very passionate about them.

But as someone who more or less burnt himself out of collecting that bordered on obligation over genuine enjoyment I really appreciate just being able to turn my brain off and, well, not be that with something for the first time in a long time.

While I'm not after anything specific, I suppose I would like to pull a card of Chunichi Dragons ace Hiroto Takahashi just so I can say I did. No luck so far (in fact no Dragons period so far) but I am having a nice time just allowing myself to enjoy whatever I do pull and being pleasantly surprised everytime I pull an insert or a player I know about.

On top of that no matter how much the modern sports card landscape tries to re-brand cards as high quality luxury items that supposedly add to the sports fandom experience, these really have a way to cut through the bullshit and be a reminder that these are still just kids toys that are monetarily worth nothing.

I suppose one minor issue is that these have a tendency to pile up because I love snacking and these chips are weirdly versatile once you realize there's a whole lot you can do with them if you throw them in various soups. The saltiness and starchiness of these chips when thrown into miso soup or chicken broth stock soup is so good.

I do try to distribute these to collector friends back in the states when I have stuff to send across the Pacific, but I will start looking at more local options just because the odds of finding someone who'd have a use for them is larger that way.

These also bring me back to when I would buy those Utz chips that came with cards a few years ago. Just fun little bonuses that came with stuff I was going to buy anyway. No obligation, no hassle, just some free shit that can make for genuinely fun package filler.

This is also to say nothing of the non-sports cards which come with even more foodstuffs. All manner of neat cards and stickers (often aimed at kids and people who mentally and emotionally stopped developing at age 9) that come with chocolate wafers, gum, gummies, etc... good shit.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care.

8 comments:

  1. Cool that food issues are so plentiful in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, makes the trips to the supermarket that much more worth it.

      Delete
  2. Just opened up a pair of Bandai Ive wafers packages and shared the experience on my blog. Delicious. Also showed off all of those Japanese models you sent my way. Insanely hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't posted about them in a while but I'm still working the Nagatanien cards (chazuke is my youngest's favorite meal so while we don't have it all the time we do have it more frequently than I expected). Like you said, it's just fun to get a card in your food without the obligation to complete the set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie though, every now and then I wonder if I gravitate towards certain products because they come with a free sticker/card even though it's clear there are better products on the shelves (taste-wise).

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the insight...fun post!

    ReplyDelete