Monday, December 22, 2025

Some Stray Thoughts, December 2025 Edition

 So the baseball offseason suits me best because unlike the regular season where there's just so much baseball you can't reasonably get to all of it, the good stuff happens slowly. Sometimes in bunches but at least never at the volume that having nearly 15 games every night will produce.

I had some loose, uninformed and stray thoughts on some things and I thought I might as well yap about them. I'll try to keep it to sports but at some point I will give up and just go off the rails.

#1. The 2026 WBC

The WBC is back next year folks.

The foiling on this card made it scan like shit

My only real thought on it is that we had better get a Shohei Ohtani vs Aaron Judge at-bat with two outs in the bottom of the ninth to determine who wins the whole tournament like how we got Ohtani vs Mike Trout in 2023.

I want that insane fanfiction-level spectacle between the two best players in the sport. Anything short of that would render the whole thing meaningless.

#2.  Is Baseball Ruined?

As much as I try to stay away from discourse on the internet, the notion that "baseball is ruined" in some way seems to be prevalent. Either because the Los Angeles Dodgers spend money like there's no tomorrow or because the poverty franchises (a good half of the league) have chosen to be non-competitive and cheap.

Regardless of which train of thought people lean towards, I'm just curious if the checkmarks regurgitating this stuff in Jeff Passan's mentions are actual humans or bots (either way they're just farming engagement because Twitter does payouts now).

I don't want to say I completely subscribe to the dead internet theory but I do believe that we are at a weird time where it's hard to tell what's human or AI since humans don't know how to behave and AI's have been trained on those very Redditors humans.

If someone sounds or acts kinda awkward or weird enough to be AI, well, that also kinda describes everyone who's chronically online that was banished from polite society for probably good reason. Like being weird enough to give a shit about the "health" of a billion dollar industry.

#3. The Impending Collective Bargaining Agreement/Potential Lockout

I suppose that the commoner in me does want the labor union to stand firm and for the players who provide the very product I enjoy to get their fair share. I don't think they will but who knows or cares.

While that whole thing plays out I'll just watch basketball. Especially if Giannis Antetokounmpo ends up on the Los Angeles Lakers. Because the Los Angeles sports scene has been really suffering and could stand to enjoy a few lucky breaks go their way for once y'know?

#4. Drew Pomeranz is still active

In a post that's overall probably going to be very snarky (if it isn't already) I do want to state that it's genuinely nice to see someone who was there when I was at the peak of being fully in the hobby stick around. Pomeranz managed to get a job with the Chicago Cubs last year and add to what's been a surprisingly lengthly career.

From being a key prize in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal to a World Series Champion, it's good to see the 2012 Topps Chrome Rookie Autographs alumni (which includes such names as Bryce Harper, Yu Darvish, Dellin Betances and Yoenis Cespedes).

He managed to get a deal for the 2026 season with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim which means his career is more or less finished. It's been a fantastic run Drew.

#5. Edwin Diaz got $69 Million

I saw close to zero people respond to reports that said Diaz got $69M with "nice". This is how I know people now don't know how to act anymore.

Two decades ago 69 being brought up anywhere on sites like 9gag and eBaumsworld merited a nice response.

iykyk

Here in 2025 where 67 is the new meme number 69's been pushed aside.

Sign of the times. Get off my lawn. Oh wait I'm a late millennial/early gen-z, I don't have a house or a lawn.

#6. Prospects are for poor people

Once upon a time I loved being super in tune with players in the Yankees farmsystem and seeing prospects develop.

In the years since I've come to realize that while there's something fun about that, it's also exhausting and something you naturally age out of as the first few prospects you were really excited about became busts or never really live up to their potential.

I still look back on names like Greg Bird, Mark Montgomery, Justus Sheffield and Miguel Andujar with a fondness for the mid-2010's. But I also look back to remind myself to not get too invested in whoever the new young stud is either until they prove they're something. Especially in an org like the Yankees who make it really obvious when they just don't believe in their former top prospects anymore.

Some young in-house talent is always a big need for roster construction but then again the Dodgers trade constantly and yet they somehow always have a top tier farmsystem with guys you and I have never heard of that end up either being big contributors to their World Series run or get traded to midwest teams that aren't trying.

Any other team would've been crippled if they traded away the talent the Dodgers have (also if the prospects busted out like the Diego Cartayas have). But those very same Dodgers just don't care. They traded away Yordan Álvarez for free and they have three World Series rings in the years since to show for it. They'll find three anonymous nobodies that end up in the top 100 prospects list immediately. If they can become something, great. If they take too long then they've probably already been shipped out to help maximize the current contention window.

#7. Arcane is a good show

Hey have any of you seen Arcane? It's a Netflix exclusive show loosely based on League of Legends and it's really good. I liked it a lot.

I even bought a Magic the Gathering card because I just wanted something after I saw the show. Check it out if you have a Netflix account/subscription and want to feel sadness for several hours.

#8. The Chicago White Sox Won the MLB Draft Lottery for the 2026 Draft

Non-zero chance it was rigged for Pope Leo XIV.

#9. The Chicago White Sox Signed Munetaka Murakami

Please see my point about the White Sox winning the draft lottery.

#10. I picked up this Tatsuya Imai card

This was acquired right when there was a bunch of nothing regarding MLB teams being in on Imai.

Nothing about him visiting or talking to teams. Nothing really concrete about teams being interested in him. An entire void of darkness thats lone saving grace is that there's a strict January 2nd, 2026 deadline for Imai to reach an agreement with an MLB club, lest he return to the NPB in 2026.

I specifically wanted a Dream Order card because my local tcg shop had a bunch and because these seem like they'll end up being hard to find in the coming years because the traditional sports card shops don't really have them.

Though regarding this card specifically expect me to just send it to someone in a PWE because I do that a lot.

#11. Computer Science Degrees, Like the Law Degrees Before Them

10 years ago I was still in college and at the time computer science was the field that was getting a lot of attention. The tech world was starting its reign of disruptive terror that continues to this day and headlines about how much folks in that field got paid, even at the entry level positions, were enticing to people looking for stable income in a world that was still licking its wounds from the collapse of the Lehman Brothers.

Well 10 years later I get the feeling history just repeated itself.

What I mean by that is that shortly after the 2008 Financial Crisis there were a bunch of graduates weren't able to find work despite studying in a field that was historically considered stable and well paying. Those being people straight out of law school who found themselves in a tough situation. Too many lawschool graduates, not enough positions for all of them as the economy went to shit.

Unrelated Scan

The effects on those late 2000's/early 2010's grads who were very much screwed over were starting to really show up in 2015 and it was a good thing I was able to read about them right as I heard everyone was heading for tech (like this NYT Op-Ed). I got the vibe that there's a good chance the supply is going to vastly outnumber the demand at some point in a field where advancements in technology happen all the time. Lo and behold, we're here.

There's a lot of reasons for this but as far as I can tell it's predominantly a mix of there being a lot more comp-sci grads in the market now than in the early 2010's and due to the integration of automation/AI that handles a lot of the grunt work that previously lower level employees did.

I know I oversimplified a lot of things there. I didn't study either field so I'm not sure what the status is for people going through it now, I just read what I can from reputable papers. But optics-wise it just looked so similar to me.

I don't know if there is a road to a steady and stable income anymore unless you were born into a wealthy family with old money. What I do know is that by the time you start hearing that everyone and their mother is heading in a certain direction, it's already too late.

#12. Consulting, More Like Insulting

So what's the next thing people are flocking to as an industry that's got money? Looks like it's consulting.

Consulting is such a polarizing industry. It's hard to pin down what it actually does and the results when the companies that hire consultants go under speak louder than anything the firm's official mission statement ever could say.

But it's where the money's been the last few years outside of the tech/AI bubble. It's where the top level executives have been coming from. It's where every kid in business school is hoping to land a gig.

Even the Big 4 accounting firms (EY, KPMG, Deloite and PwC) have found a lot of their revenues have come from their consulting work and not so much the hardcore accounting work like auditing. Because consultants can't also handle things like audits for compliance reasons (you can thank Arthur Andersen and Enron for that) those often get relegated to another firm who do the actual work.

From the outside looking in it looks like one of those "get the bag, then bounce" type of jobs. It pays very well if you can get in with a brand name firm but the stress level it brings along is off the charts. Folks just hunker down and power through it then retire early when they've got enough in the bank, or just jump ship for a bigger paycheck/bonus elsewhere.

Sounds vaguely familiar but then again I see how much consultants make and a lot have an extra comma than folks in my industry do so I'm not crying any tears for them.

#13. Accounting for Accounting

So it's really easy for me to talk smack about fields I'm not in, so time for me to talk about a field I am in.

Overall I consider the time I spent in the profession (I'm still in it now for the record) to be positive but the lows are really something. You've all seen me be pushed to a point where I even blogged openly about the immense amount of stress I was under a few years ago.

If you survive long enough that you're in consideration for a promotion to higher roles you start to wonder if you want to keep at it or maybe go somewhere else to make the work-life balance easier to manage. Or just go into consulting.

The industry views this as a feature and not a bug. At the Big 4 accounting firms turnover is huge and expected. Every entry level job is more or less on-par with an internship in that it's meant to be something for your resume at best and you should have an exit strategy a week into your tenure. Welp, that's one way to make sure accounting majors head for something else.

#14. Return of the Trades

While I'm not super sure how popular it is, I do hear reports of an uptick in young people going to trade school instead of college and learning to become plumbers or welders and the like.

The reasons why look straightforward. College is really expensive now and the return on investment is rocky given that not every college degree guarantees employment and the ones that do have high levels of intense competition.

As good as I think this development is though, I won't lie that it does show that there is a stigma attached to "blue collar work" no matter how much it's pandered to every two years.

As a late millennial/early Gen Z kid I do vaguely remember there being a thing in the air that folks would prefer their kids don't go into the trades when they could instead get a white collar job that won't kill their backs and has a pension. Or at least that was the case until the turn of the millennium when everything went to shit. The trades are a lot more practical than say being a hedge fund manager, and traditional blue collar work like manufacturing is pretty much long gone so I do see why attitudes are shifting.

#15. If the Saudi's Owned an MLB Team How Much Do You Think They'd Spend On It?

Kind of a half-baked idea for a lot of obvious reasons. But I get the feeling they'd spend more than Bob Nutting.

#16. ERA+ and OPS+ Are Godly

In an era where there is too much information (much of it I do not care for), I am appreciative of two stats, ERA+ and OPS+. Why? Because these are just numbers where the average is 100 and anything above is good and anything below is bad. Boom, makes it super easy to evaluate cumulative player performances for pitchers and hitters respectively.

At least as a pea-brained fan who doesn't want to think very hard about baseball statistics when I'm not getting paid to do so.

These stats are just new enough that they are very accurate, but also have call-backs to ancient stats like ERA so they're don't sound alien like, say, wOBA. And again, they're simple.

Simple is good. Keep it that way.

Unrelated Scan

Alright somehow we circled back to baseball at the end. Kinda.

Thanks for sticking around for my inane rambling/excuse to clear out my scanned cards folder before the year ends.

As always thanks for stopping by and take care.

6 comments:

  1. Apologies for the rambley response. Will go point by point.

    1. Still waiting for the WBC to get screwed once the Latinamerican teams aren't allowed in the US.

    2. Perhaps but it's not the Dodger's fault that everyone else just wants to finish above .500 and take their chances in the playoffs.

    3. I really hate that I'm rooting for a work stoppage at this point.

    4. I should probably get a cheap Pomeranz auto for the Giants auto binder…

    5. My kids are already tired of 6-7 so I'm not sure it'll have the same decade's-long run that 69 had.

    6. It's become a lot harder to keep track of prospects too since they don't stay with one MiLB team anymore. Also from the autographing point of view, the stadiums have gotten nearly impossible to get signatures at now.

    7. Just signed up for Netflix (we do one service at a time here) and I think my eldest added this to his watchlist already.

    8 & 9. LOL I'm loving how everyone has started making this joke. The Murakami signing was definitely a WTF around here. Sort of feels like he's on a two-year audition and if he does well the next contract will be nutso.

    10. His "want to be the Dodgers" comment really seemed like he was making a pitch for the Giants to come get him. But at this point between the lack of action from him and how quiet the Murakami stuff was I'm wondering if MLB just isn't into big free agent contracts this year.

    11. 100% correct. Market has been vastly oversaturated for years and now no one's hiring entry-level positions because of AI (which means things are going to be fucked in a decade after there's no pipeline of experienced programmers)

    12. This jives with what I remember as an undergrad decades ago but I get the sense that it's gotten worse and is part of the cycle of grade inflation and stress at colleges as kids are all jockeying for the for big consulting jobs and need perfect transcripts to land them.

    13. This makes a lot of sense. Though it wouldn't surprise me to see accounting shift to be about double checking AI's work for a few years.

    14. Seeing this as well. Wish we had more of a societal understanding that doing a trade doesn't mean you failed in school. But maybe the next generation will get there since it's either being a trade worker or juggling a half dozen hustle culture contract jobs like uber or instacart.

    15. Oh wow. Based on what's happened with soccer everyone will make them the bad guys even though the worse thing to happen has been teams getting run under the principle that they have to turn a hefty profit for the owner each season.

    16. 100% agreement here. They're also great for evaluating the past as well since the whole point is that it's a comparison to the league average each season. Impossible to compare ERAs from the late 60s to the late 90s but you absolutely can compare ERA+s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something that was real eye-opening to me was that there were a ton of new businesses last year but most of them were people just registering their services as an Uber driver or something as a business and not the traditional sense that would actually suggest growth and stability in the marketplace or good prospects for job markets.

      Delete
  2. 1. I'm always excited for the WBC. It usually gives me a chance to learn about one or two NPB stars that might eventually end up playing in the MLB. More importantly, it means that Topps will produce a bunch of new cards for these players.

    2. Props to the Dodgers for building championship teams. It's not their fault that most of their competition isn't willing to do the the same for their fans. That being said... if other teams don't start becoming competitive and they end up going on a run like the Yankees back in the 50's... it might get a little boring for this fan.

    3. Not sure if I put up blinders when it comes to stuff like collective bargaining, but I rarely pay any attention to this kind of stuff until the term "lockout" starts getting tossed around on ESPN on a daily basis.

    4. Hope Kurt can jumpstart Drew's career.

    5. I'd rather deal with kids telling 69 jokes... than hearing 67 any day of the week.

    6. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two scenarios when I look up prospects. Every now and then, I'll wind up with an autograph of one, so I'll look the player up to see if they're ranked high. I'll also look up San Jose Giants whenever I attend games to see who are the players to keep an eye out for.

    7. Never watched it, but I have NF. Maybe I'll check it out.

    8. I saw that they got the first pick. Is there a generational type of player that's destined to go with the #1 pick? If not... I don't really pay attention to drafts.

    9. Now that's news I paid attention to. I was really hoping the A's or Padres would sign Murakami.

    10. Not familiar with Imai. Maybe he'll shine in the WBC and he'll become a household name.

    11. I recently hung out with a group of former students who just graduated from college in May. Only one of the four has found a job using her degree.

    12. It's 4:29am and trying to come up with a intelligent comment related to consulting is tough. I read the first two paragraphs and scrolled down to #13.

    13. Accounting is a little more interesting to me than consulting, but it's still 4:31 and I'm not 100% awake yet. The scroll continues.

    14. One of my favorite units that I teach involves my 8th graders looking at high school and beyond. I hit colleges hard, but with each passing year I talk more and more about trade schools. One of my colleagues is married to a plumber... and another who is an electrician. Both have spoke to my students in the past. Kids are often blown away by how much money they can make by entering a trade.

    15. No idea. If you told me they were already invested in a team or teams, I wouldn't be surprised.

    16. I started following sports, because I love stats and numbers. But honestly I really only focus on the stats from my childhood like batting average and slugging percentage. I think the only modern day stat that I kinda understand is WAR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get what the 67 thing is all about but the 67s currently are the best team in the OHL! https://chl.ca/ohl-67s/

    Yeah, probably not too many followers of Canadian Junior hockey in the blog readership, but thought I'd throw that out there anyway

    ReplyDelete