So for the first time in two years I used eBay.
Yes, I actually shelled out the big bucks on international shipping.
I'll admit I was nervous because from afar it looks like the US is going through a lot right now, and even when things were "normal" it wasn't exactly the best at international mail.
Then again in the year and then some since I've moved back to Japan I've had folks like The Lost Collector and Nick V send me stuff and I've been able to verify that the Tokyo to New York/New Jersey connection is super fast (surprisingly so). Although the further away from Kearny you go the more I lose confidence.
Still, might as well try and give it a shot.
This was the first time I used eBay's global shipping program and I now know that they have an International Hub where sellers send stuff to one of eBay's subdivisions who are responsible for relaying the item to international buyers.
I'm not super sure where exactly the seller's liabilities end (I've heard it's upon delivery at the Hub but I couldn't verify that), but having eBay step in and take care of the bigger hurdle of international shipping seems pretty logical.
The average Joe might not be super well versed in shipping internationally and given how collectibles and cards are worth stupid money now the more eBay steps in, the more assurance that provides for the rest of the parties involved. Even moreso now with global trade being what it is.
So yeah a few days being re-organized at the hub and a week in transit later...
Always good to get one of these in hand.
Although woof, these commons are $50+ now. Back in 2014 they were like $20-30 and in slightly better condition then too. At least I can justify it as a century old tobacco card of the pitcher who gave up the first two home runs of Babe Ruth's MLB career.
Anyway with that...
12 down, 8 more to go.
Dare to dream. Yes I am woefully aware that it probably would've been smarter to finish the team set while I was in the states but no matter. At least I know there's still options at my disposal as long as I'm okay with burning money.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.


Awesome to see you dip back into these. Good luck on your quest!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'll need it because one of the last ones I need is a headache.
DeleteShipping here is super weird. I'd say 20% of my eBay purchases end up taking over a week to arrive. I'm sure a large percentage of that falls on the seller, but the USPS can by wonky too. I've had multiple cards arrive that according to eBay are still in transit. Guess it could be worse. The cards could not arrive and be marked as delivered. Best of luck with you team set build.
ReplyDeleteSo what you're saying is that I would've had to wait nearly a month even if I were still in the US.
DeleteNEVER a bad day when you land a T206. That may be a bit beat but it's still a beaut. And FWIW I think things go between NJ and Japan faster than it takes to go to/from California. It's taking like a dozen days to send stuff to my folks now.
ReplyDeleteNot surprised, the amount of time this spend going from transfer station to transfer station within the US before finally being sent over the ocean took up half of the estimated shipping time.
Delete