So the other day I bought and opened 3 packs of 2026 Topps NPB Stadium Club at a local supermarket.
No particular reason why. I just thought it'd be a fun dumb way to relieve stress during my commute home. Also I could get more package fodder to send to NPB Card Guy and others.
The first two packs came and went with nothing of note.
Then out of pack 3 came this.
Watermarked because scummy people steal pics of collectibles and create fake listings online now
That's an autograph of Yakult Swallows ace Yasunobu Okugawa and is limited to 5 copies.
It's also the first sport card hit I've pulled in a long while, and it's an actual good player!
I was very unprepared for this moment, so much so that I felt time slow down for a moment, then go back to normal. Like that effect they do in the movies.
This was a different thrill because unlike past "hits" I've pulled, those were somewhat guaranteed in that I got one whole hobby box or something similar with had a certified autograph or relic inserted.
This wasn't guaranteed. I only picked up 3 random packs. I didn't even pick them, the cashier got them from the box behind the counter. Yet somehow I (or the cashier?) defied the odds.
I also got the regular base card too which helps serve a nice contrast.
If you're wondering about the rest of cards, they didn't interest me a lick and they're already sealed away in envelopes headed for other people.
Forgive me but I'm not Night Owl Cards, no cards are valuable to me (base/parallels/hits/etc...) because I don't value any of them unless I want them out of impulsive need in the moment. If they don't hit me they can hit the road instead.
Also if you were wondering if the autograph meant Topps/Fanatics put in extra effort in the back.
Nope.
If anything they somehow made something with 0 effort look like it had negative effort.
But then again negative effort is sort of a good way to sum up this post in general.
If you've noticed I took a month off from blogging because I really wanted my last post where I completed the 1909-11 T206 New York Highlanders team set (minus variations) to breathe and rack up a lot of views and comments.
In case you missed it here they all are again.
But while I was thinking of what could possibly follow that up, I used up a year's worth of luck to nab a surprise hit that's of an actual somebody that I don't have to bend over backwards and be like "oh well at least it's a low numbered autograph card".
Sure, I'll take that.
As always thanks for stopping by and take care.




a. Congratulations on pulling an autograph out of a pack purchased at a grocery store!
ReplyDeleteb. People steal pics of cards and use them in fake listings? Great. Just one more thing to stress over in this crazy world we live in.
It was quite a thrill.
DeleteYeah, that's why I've started blurring out serial numbers and or slab IDs.
What a great autograph! Congrats on the pull. One thing that stands out to me is the different shape of the sticker to accommodate the signature.
ReplyDeleteThat's something I noticed too.
DeleteThe Japanese players who made it to the MLB have the usual thinner stickers but the NPB only players have these really boxy big stickers instead.