Tuesday, February 25, 2014

One Month Of Sobriety (Almost)

For the first time in roughly 3 years, I was on the verge of lasting a month without buying any new cards. The key word there is buying as I have acquired quite a lot of cards these past few weeks via trades (which I'll blog about once I finally get off my behind and scan everything).
*Note, the rack pack and T206 Jack Quinn I blogged about a while back were both purchased on 1/31 so they don't count*
And yes, I'm aware that February is the shortest month of the year so the "feat" wouldn't have been impressive anyway. Not that that matters anymore since my sobriety only lasted 19 days, as I picked this up on eBay a while back.

T206 Birdie Cree

I went bonkers and ended up paying a few cents shy of a retail blaster for this (including shipping). Which I suppose is pretty reasonable considering that this is a 100 year old T206 Yankee Highlander, but I did kind of feel like I overpaid a tad for this seeing as I had a couple of other T206 Yankee Highlanders on my watch list that were a few dollars cheaper.
But now that I finally have this card in hand and also noticed that some of the other T206 Cree's on eBay have gone for far more than what I paid (some in even worse condition), whatever buyer's remorse-ish thing I had going on is pretty much gone.

Normally I'd include a in-depth bio on Birdie Cree here but I can't compete with this fantastic bio on SABR (I'd highly recommend checking it out). So here is a small list of things people should know about Mr. Cree.
  • Mr. Cree was born on October 23rd, 1882 in Khedive, Pennsylvania
  • Mr. Cree's real name is William Franklin Cree
  • Mr. Cree was very fast and established the Yankees franchise record for the most triples in a single season with 22 triples (record was broken later on)
  • Mr. Cree also played football
  • Mr. Cree got his nickname "Birdie" when he was playing for Penn State's baseball team
  • Mr. Cree became a fully qualified teacher in 1903 and taught in public schools in California city
  • Mr. Cree went under the name "Bill Burde" at the beginning of his professional baseball career
  • Mr. Cree's contract was purchased by Connie Mack of the Philadelphia Athletics but was later acquired by the Detroit Tigers
  • Mr. Cree was then traded to the New York Highlanders in exchange that George Moriarty sign with the Tigers the following season
  • Mr. Cree made his MLB debut on September 17th, 1908 for the Highlanders as a centerfielder and batted third
  • Mr. Cree had a career year in 1911 as he led his team in average (.348), slugging (.513), total bases (267), triples (22), stolen bases (48), extra base hits (56), and was even tied for the most home runs (4)
  • Mr. Cree was tied with Tris Speaker for 6th place in the 1911 MVP voting
  • Mr. Cree's career after 1911 was plagued with injuries and he retired after the 1915 season
  • Mr. Cree died on November 8th, 1942.
Please keep in mind that this is only the tip of the iceberg of the Birdie Cree story. You'll find a lot more interesting facts about Mr. Cree in the link I posted above.

Back

Going back to the card, this pickup will hopefully be the only baseball card I actually purchase in February. And for those of you who are wondering why I'm making such a big deal about not spending money on baseball cards, all will be explained next month (provided I don't make anymore impulse buys and ruin my plan).

Anyway, thanks for dropping by and tolerating me showing off another T206 (they've become an addiction, HELP!). Take care guys.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for crossing out the Yankees references. I did a blog post on the Fenway Park Opener - 1912 where it shows that the NY newspapers called them both names. I like the Highlanders moniker better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Highlanders better as well. Although mostly because the Yankees never acknowledge that they were once the Highlanders or Orioles.

      Delete
  2. I think $20 for that card, in that condition, seems pretty reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely reasonable but right after I won the auction I was kind of thinking "hmm, maybe I could've gotten this card for a few dollars cheaper..."
      Now I'm perfectly fine with my purchase though :).

      Delete
  3. Nice nice card I have my eye on a couple .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's vintage I'd be happy to have. Very nice ZZ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That beats the heck out of a blaster any day of the week. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... vintage, and a baseball history lesson.
    Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, (I don't want to spoil anything but) there's more 100 year old goodness on the horizon...
      And thanks :)!

      Delete